Mental Support Community

I'm too scared to fall asleep

Little

Last year I was diagnosed with anxiety, which was no surprise to me. I've always been really anxious and shy and nervous, especially around people. I've had panic attacks, and at one point I couldn't even go to certain places out of fear of having a panic attack and being trapped. I talked to a counselor and my anxiety gradually got better without meds or anything. Now, though, my anxiety has come back and turned into a fear of sleeping. I always have really horrible, vivid nightmares and I've had sleep paralysis before. I think those things have contributed to my fear of sleeping. Weird thing is though, is that I can sleep during the day. I'm only afraid of sleeping at night. Once the sun starts rising at around 5 am, I can sleep. I can also sleep when I'm at my boyfriend's apartment and we're sharing a bed or if a friend is sleeping in the same room. This is becoming a huge problem, and I don't know what to do. It's interfering with life big time. It's 2:30am now and I'm sitting up in my bed with the lights on. My heart is pounding and I keep having to look around my room. This is a horrible feeling. I'll be 20 in two months, so this definitely isn't normal. Someone please help! :P

Sounds like you have a problem with anxiety and mebbe a little agaraphobia that is probably linked to the anxiety. If you are having panic attacks at night it stands to reason that you'd associate sleeping with fear - kinda a vicious circle.

Sounds like you might need help from a therapist with this. Me im an insomniac and over and above my mania I used to have panic attacks as well so I sure can sympathise sister.

Take care and know that you are not alone here.

Sounds like you have a problem with anxiety and mebbe a little agoraphobia that is probably linked to the anxiety. If you are having panic attacks at night it stands to reason that you'd associate sleeping with fear - kinda a vicious circle.

Sounds like you might need help from a therapist with this. Me im an insomniac and over and above my mania I used to have panic attacks as well so I sure can sympathise sister.

Take care and know that you are not alone here.

Archived