Mental Support Community

Just Plain Weird

SongBird

Okay, so this has been happening for as long as I can remember, but there was an incident recently that made me actually think about what was going on. For years and years, my hands, particularity my right but my left as well, would randomly tremble, shudder, or even flail about on their own. There isn't much of a pattern to it, but it rarely happens when I'm by myself. I'm not autistic, but I do struggle with depression and anxiety. The incident I am referring to is that yesterday my boyfriend and I were lounging in his apartment after church and some gardening. We were lying on the floor of his living room, not really saying anything, just being together, and suddenly my right hand (which is my dominant hand) started snapping back and fourth on its own! He looked really confused, and I told him it just did that sometimes, and tried to make it stop. It did for a while, then continued to flail, the movements getting more and more frantic. Being an insightful (and very sweet) young man, my boyfriend gently took my hand and started massaging it, which worked until he set it down again. Minutes later, it started flailing about again. He tried to calm it again, but each time it worked for only a few minutes. Finally, I had a very violent panic attack--normally I curl up and shake, but I was flailing everywhere, he said--arching my back, twisting, eyes open, but not registering anything. He said he called me over and over--I've had panic attacks around him before, and usually saying my name calms me down--but there was no response. It was very strange, and very unexpected. Any suggestions?

In all honesty, I've never thought anything of it before yesterday. I am seeing a therapist regularly, and I'm going to talk to him about it when I see him next. My friend, who is training to be a nurse, believes it may be a tremor disorder, but I'm not sure. I'm just fishing for suggestions right now, and I'll follow up with a doctor if need be.

Archived