Mental Support Community

Self Harm - How does it help ?

lagrima

Hi, mscat. I hope you're okay.

Thanks for asking ... it is just that SI is a huge topic for me and personal, I think that i just got too carried away by wrirting about it becasue I think I know a lot about it. BUt, on the other hand think that it is too easy to write stuff about it then offend others. It probably is a better idea not to . Got the picture clearly. Even though self harm is a major problem that i and others have to struggle against it is still tabboo to say anything .

We generally attribute a lot to ' our own ' doing .. without ever

realizing we are mere puppets , governed by the goings on inside

the skull .

So in a deterministic world no one is ever responsible for their own actions? EVERYBODY's brain operates this way. Is the world made of puppets? Or does what is at least an illusion of free will hold any sway?

""We generally attribute a lot to ' our own ' doing.... without realising we are mere puppets, governed by the goings on inside the skull ""

Ive read that before somewhere which book is it from Lagrima ?

We aint all puppets, Im not at anyrate, I just checked - I aint got no strings attached. :(

No-one can actually say with any certainty what goes on inside the skull. Sure there has been a heck of a lot of research, but like with most research projects - there is a heck of a lot of guess work involved.

"Isn't it just another organ of the body ... ?"

Well, yes and no.

It's the only organ in the body that's conscious of its own existence.

What that organ can understand about itself is necessarily smaller than its own content, right? I think that at some point, reason has to recognize its own limits.

Sure, the tangible brain is the part where the answer is "yes, the brain is just another organ." So, we can see its parts, we can see gross physical issues such as blood clots or tumors, and to some extent, fix them.

How a brain's structure and connections form a mind, though, is far from understood. And while it's nice to imagine that it might be understood, some day, we have to function with our minds, in the meantime.

As for the other question, reason has to recognize its limits where they are.

When I feel angry, I recognize that it will do me little good to reason about that fact. I have to use some of the other capacities of my mind.

Well, it's not the word "mind" that causes the problem ...

You'd still have one even if you chose not to name it.

In fact, it's a very interesting idea, as if things come into existence when some human chooses a word for it, or when we "understand" it, to some degree. There are a huge number of things out there that I have no name for, nor hope of understanding ...

Why is it called ' Brain surgery ' and not the ' Mind surgery ' .

Maybe calling it "mind surgery" would make it too frightening. There is a certain need for detachment to protect ourselves from vulnerability. Just a thought.

We generally attribute a lot to ' our own ' doing .. without ever

realizing we are mere puppets ' date=' governed by the goings on inside

the skull .[/quote']

Does thinking this give you more of a sense of control or less? If minds were exactly the same, we'd all be like robots. It is so much more complicated than this, I think. This is flavored by genetics, temperament, and experience.

Archived