Mental Support Community

Sexual Anorexia

Mardi Gras

Dear all,

I ordered 3 books off of Amazon. Two came, the first is self-help style, the second is more a reference text for clinicians.

I have to share with you all what I've found in Sexual Anorexia: Overcoming Sexual Self-Hatred by Dr. Patrick Carnes. I had to put duct-tape over the cover so I can read it in my off time and my coworkers won't think I'm fucking insane.

The book uses the 12-step process, like Alcoholics Anonymous, but without the reference to the Christian god. I'm weary of the 12 step program.

Reading the first part where it describes the world of the Sexual Anorexic, the origin of his/her feelings, the outlets, the obsessive behaviors...

It's just eerie...uncomfortably accurate, and disturbingly familiar...how it has me pegged.

I suffer from SPS, but this book has me convinced the main disease I suffer from is Sexual Anorexia. If not SPS, there would be some other issue to trigger the compulsive aversion to the union of sex and intimacy.

Set Up for Failure:

Like all shrinks (hi Dr. Schwarz), this guy thinks our problems started off in childhood. I think he's right. He sure as hell described my parents, my household, my childhood. To the T. My first interactions with women outside my family unit. It's all there, everything that happened to me being told to me in a book by a guy I never met.

Dr. Carnes described every relationship I've ever been in. My patterns in my sex life are in this book. Yours, too, Recluse...even if it was with hookers. You'll see.

Look, here's my offer:

I'll use my money to buy you a copy. The only string is you have to read the first half on Sexual Anorexia.

I haven't even finished this book and I believe so strongly in it already I'm asking every SPS sufferer to read it. I'm begging each of you to read this book, at least the first part about the Sexual Anorexic. I promise it'll change you. I'm not saying it'll fix the whole fucking world, but it will certainly dislodge you from the mental rut you're in.

PM me your mailing address and I will order on Amazon.com a copy and have it sent to you. This is for SPS suffers, the guys I've met on this forum already. IrmaJean and Loneone, you're very much a part of our group and this includes you, too. I'll punch out the first order in about a week.

It's that important to me.

Sounds very interesting indeed.

I checked a link, I didnt see any audiobook though (prefer to listen as I walk etc) but the book might be worth checking.

THink you're ttoally right about it as well, I was thinking along those lines when I posted "which came first, the penis or the issues"...........

Dear all,

I ordered 3 books off of Amazon. Two came, the first is self-help style, the second is more a reference text for clinicians.

I have to share with you all what I've found in Sexual Anorexia: Overcoming Sexual Self-Hatred by Dr. Patrick Carnes. I had to put duct-tape over the cover so I can read it in my off time and my coworkers won't think I'm fucking insane.

The book uses the 12-step process, like Alcoholics Anonymous, but without the reference to the Christian god. I'm weary of the 12 step program.

Reading the first part where it describes the world of the Sexual Anorexic, the origin of his/her feelings, the outlets, the obsessive behaviors...

It's just eerie...uncomfortably accurate, and disturbingly familiar...how it has me pegged.

I suffer from SPS, but this book has me convinced the main disease I suffer from is Sexual Anorexia. If not SPS, there would be some other issue to trigger the compulsive aversion to the union of sex and intimacy.

Set Up for Failure:

Like all shrinks (hi Dr. Schwarz), this guy thinks our problems started off in childhood. I think he's right. He sure as hell described my parents, my household, my childhood. To the T. My first interactions with women outside my family unit. It's all there, everything that happened to me being told to me in a book by a guy I never met.

Dr. Carnes described every relationship I've ever been in. My patterns in my sex life are in this book. Yours, too, Recluse...even if it was with hookers. You'll see.

Look, here's my offer:

I'll use my money to buy you a copy. The only string is you have to read the first half on Sexual Anorexia.

I haven't even finished this book and I believe so strongly in it already I'm asking every SPS sufferer to read it. I'm begging each of you to read this book, at least the first part about the Sexual Anorexic. I promise it'll change you. I'm not saying it'll fix the whole fucking world, but it will certainly dislodge you from the mental rut you're in.

PM me your mailing address and I will order on Amazon.com a copy and have it sent to you. This is for SPS suffers, the guys I've met on this forum already. IrmaJean and Loneone, you're very much a part of our group and this includes you, too. I'll punch out the first order in about a week.

It's that important to me.

Archived