Mental Support Community

How long for abilify to work?

Misty

Bn taken off seroquel and put on 15mg of abilify, bn on just abilify for a week, nearly 2 n feel like im bk to square one!!

Had some grief from my ex, and jst felt like ending it all. Just moved so new dr's. How long before I feel normal again? I don't like being back in this place of despair, fidgety and flip flapping moods! :)

Hi Misty. I saw your post and thought I'd respond with what little I know about Abilify. Abilify is excellent with stabalizing moods. In most cases, it takes 4-6 weeks to get the full affect of the medicine. My husband has been on it for about three months now. It's extremely important for you to take the medicine regularly. Another important thing about Abilify, is that if you take to large of a dose, it can have the opposite affect. 15 mg is alot. Perhaps you're going through withdrawals of seroquel and once that is out of your system, the abilify will kick in. Another thing is possibly discussing the dosage you're taking, and ask if you can go down to a smaller amount. Or ask if there is another medicine you can go on, such as Zoloft, which the Abilify seems to enhance the performance of this anti depressant and other antideppressants. They work together with each other and compliment each other well. Be sure to discuss it with your doctor as soon as possible. They started my husband out on 2 mg and he was doing great. He was like a completely different person. Happiest I've ever seen him, then he decided to go up to 5 mg because he thought if 2mg did him great, 5mg would be even better. It had the opposite affect on him, and he was back to square one. I had an awful time with him for over a week. It's very important to get the dosage just right to get the full benefit. I hope that you can make a call to your doctor and get it straightened out. I feel like it could all just be too much for you right now. Or maybe you need another medication added to enhance it's performance. Hope you get straightened out. Just hang in there and keep hope. Let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nathan, I was put on abilify because of the sedative effects and the weight gain of seroquel. My ex and i have been apart 11 months. nothing to do with him! lol!

I am now feeling fantastic, think its working to capacity finally!! It took a while but I feel really strong and capable! Life is gona be great, i just know it!!

Archived