Mental Support Community

Dealing with "triggers"

IrmaJean

Does anyone have any tips about how to recognize when this is happening? I have some difficulties knowing I'm projecting or have been triggered and stepping away in time before my emotions become problematic in my relationships. I can see what happened after it's happened, but often times it's too late by then. Sounds like good therapy material, huh? I just don't have the time or the resources right now, though. Anyone have thoughts?

The funny part is I know exactly what my triggers are (although new ones pop up occasionally :)). I don't even have a problem with being triggered or from the uncomfortable emotions that go along with that. Always a learning experience. I do have a problem when my responses affect others. Then my behaviors become an issue.

Lagrima, I think you are right about self-awareness. The problem is my emotions can be so very strong sometimes, it's next to impossible to see through them. And because now I'm more assured to allow myself to feel anger, I must also deal with this. I think that is part of the difficulty too. In the past I was too timid to allow such emotions, but now I'm more willing to assert myself and so need to learn how to manage all of this better. Challenges!

Pseud, I agree about stepping back and breathing. Must learn how to do this better.

Game plan: Self-awareness. Emotions feel strong. Am I overreacting? Does this emotional response match reality? Is there a different way to read this? Am I reading intent through my own fears? Find the inner strength to step back. This will be easier to do if I am considering others. I will try.

Thank you.

Hey IJ :)

I have no clue, I just wanted to say Hi......I thought maybe though you could keep something like one of those stress release balls on you if your feeling extra on edge or kinda vunerable, maybe that could be a little reminder. I know that may not do very much in the heat of the moment when your feeling something. I think people that really care for you should be forgiving of having off moments now and then.

I hope your day isnt being to stressful. :)

Hi IJ. Triggers, and recognizing when I am being triggered...the bane of my existence. What I am slowly learning to do is to be aware of my physical state. Is my jaw tense? Are my shoulders creeping up and my head ducking down? Breathing faster? When I remember to notice these things, I find that I have enough time to step away from the situation before my emotions become a disaster. Honestly, it's the only thing I have found that even remotely helps me to catch myself in time.

Thanks so much everyone for the insights! I really appreciate it.

Come to think of it, maybe I do feel burning sensations in my chest. Problem is I am so not used to anger...:confused: I have to learn to recognize this better. This is anger. :) Now what feelings are behind this anger? don't mind me. Just processing out loud. A stress release ball is an idea too, CGIA. Thank you.

So there obviously is a relation between ' thought ' and ' emotion ' .

And there obviously is a reason to accept the vital role of ' reason ' in this game .

This may be something to consider in the why's of this. I may need to think more on this. Generally, I like my emotions, but not in a case when they negatively interfere with my relationships and hurt the people that I care about. That indicates there is something that needs work.

Lagrima, it can be a wonderful thing to appreciate gray areas. Yes, these blinding emotions of mine can be problematic, but in the same regard there are many times when they can be quite beautiful as well. They help me to be an empathetic and caring person too.

I'm working on the key things.

Self-awareness and balance.

Thanks.

IrmaJean

I was just reading this post and realized maybe that is what is going on with me in the past month. I have secluded myself because I am having triggers that are taking me over to the point that I have to crawl into my own mind and shut it down. When something I see that triggers a memory or thought that I remember this is the only way I now can handle. I haven't had it this bad in about 3 to 4 yrs. I have no idea how to handle it anymore there is more now than ever. As you know I'm not much on here and probably one of the reasons is that I can't even know how to reply because I'm afraid of triggering somebody else. I am having a very diffucult time for the last month and have no idea what is going to happen. I am on here reading posts. I applaud everybody on expressing how they feel and maybe soon as I can get more control on how to handle mine I can also express how I can manage my triggers.

• 9 months later...

I wanted to revive my old thread here because I still struggle with this. Not only that, but trying to accept all of myself means looking at where imperfections are too. It's much easier to write about my positive traits. Anyway, I was wondering if any of our new members had some insights or thoughts. Thank you.

Archived