Mental Support Community

Psychiatry and Spirituality

Guest ASchwartz

Lagrima,

I would also like to know where you get this stuff from???

For the rest of you, what is wrong with being rational?

Allan

Allan: For the rest of you, what is wrong with being rational?

No one is ever completely rational or irrational. We're always both but those who prize rationality over irrationality may be so invested in the idea that they're rational, they'll split off from their irrationality, project it onto others and then devalue them because they, themselves, have devalued that which we call irrational.

Bear in mind Allan, I'm referrering to the opposites in the psyche and may be using the terms "rational" and "irrational" in a different manner than you might have considered.

lagrima: Here's another case study on similar lines ... It was observed that after meeting with her sister, patient resumed her original state

I think what we saw in that case study was an example of a psychological crisis. The girl sought to reunite her family by "being the son" she'd been led to believe her parents needed to heal their relationship and thus, bring her sister back into her life.

I'm suddenly reminded of a case of a male who had been diagnosed as psychotic, in part, because he was fascinated with the concept of time and was insistent that he must build a time-machine. In exploring this theme with him, it was discovered that his brother had passed away many months previously. He wanted to build a time-machine so he could go back and get his brother.

Oh, and Allan, if you're reading, the kind of care people get in psychiatry is often based on rationalism that reduces their life-experience to neurochemistry and rejects any talk of their inner experience. However, it may be this very conversation that the individual requires in order to find their own healing. Clinging too strongly to the rational can produces irrationality.

Yet another example of the "too rational" is when we give schizophrenics medications that are supposed to save them from suicide that then kill them. There is a very great deal of insanity that takes place on both sides of the psychiatric consulting room.

Archived