Mental Support Community

Do you believe in past life karma?

sensitive_woman

I believe in cause and effect in this lifetime for obvious reasons including what I may do can and will affect future generations. But in so far as the doctrine of re-birth and past karma afflictions and having to pay a debt to myself is harder for me to swallow. One example is practitioners of Zen and Buddhism and remember there is hundreds if not thousands of different disciplines in this area.

Buddha taught there is no God. Then he told his disciples there is no self. He also told them there is no one to pray to that evil does not exist and no one to fear. He said everything is only within themselves, even though those selves do not exist. He instructed them that their good deeds have to outweigh their bad deeds to start changing re-birth future lives karma. Buddha carved into his disciples consciousness a super huge debt to repay karma again even though there is no creditor to repay or even something or someone who issued the debt in the first place ? He gave them scores of rules and rituals to live by. He told them all desires is to be cut off. He told them that they would cease to be, and, when they have paid their debt through karma, they will cease to be. How can all this bring peace through Karma ? What else is confusing is Buddha said there is an infinite number of re-birth's and karma, but he also said there is a final birth. How can a infinite number have finality ?

I'm not suggesting re-birth or paying your debt to karma is not real I'm just asking some questions . Good luck