Mental Support Community

Are pets therapeutic?

IrmaJean

I would love a new dog! :) I havent seen Dog Whisperer for awhile, but he used to have a dog called "daddy" that reminded me so much of an english bulldog I had for many years, named Taz. She was my Aunts who trained her, but had to come stay with my family, I cant remember why. They were almost identical!! She was the best I ever had...

We adopted another bulldog from a shelter that had all kinds of behavoral problems, fighting with dogs, bit his owners, and was about to be put down. They got around each other and clicked instantly, and were basically inseperable... I would say they were theraputic for me, atleast great companions.

I hope you find one thats good for your whole family, IJ.

Bigger dogs can suffer from bloat , it has something to do with their intestines your suppose to make the dog lay down afer he eats a meal for at least 30 ,minutes , so not let him get excited . Yes Bloat can be deadly so you would want to research this carefully if you decide on getting a large dog.

if I had more room i would get a third dog. I love em so much, to me a dog is so much better then a human friend, they love you unconditionally no matter what , and can make you so much better when your sad. Dogs have a keen sense about these things, when i was recovering from surgery my dog never left my bed, she stayed perfectly still and it was comforting to have her right next to me. They are amazing and absolutely incredible. SO yes I am a big advocate of dogs. They will be your best friend always and forever.

A lot of the bloat worry comes from folks that "free feed" or over feed their dog. It's actually part of the reason I chose the breed that I did. They self monitor so I can free feed without worrying about him over eating. Actually....more often than not I have to bribe him to eat because he uses up so much energy!!

Since we're talking about dogs....here's "my dog is a freak" story of the day.

He has a favorite blanket that he stole from me. (it's a fleece one I got on my alaska cruise last fall). Well...it has to be on the bed so he can lay on it at night. But....today I washed it. After it was dry, I put in the basket by the dryer so I could dry another load. Later....I was sitting on my bed reading and here comes gabe with "his" blanket. He proceeds to jump on the bed, put the blanket down, and spread it out with his nose so he can have a nap. My dog is really weird sometimes!!!

Silly Gabe. :)

My dog as a child was a black and tan coonhound and he only had 3 legs. I was only about 6 when he died, but I remember clearly about the bloat. My mother was always devastated when any pet died, so the surrounding details remain vivid. I have some vague memories about the vet's office I worked in not allowing us to put water in with the dry food. That was over 20 years ago, though, so I imagine veterinarians have a greater knowledge now. We are looking at getting a small to medium sized dog, so bloat shouldn't be an issue.

Can we move my thread to the Lounge? There everyone can add their dog stories/pointers/tips on dog care without interfering with anyone who needs more immediate support.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a girl and her name is Bebe. I don't know about that name, but if she's had it for her whole life (she's about 3 years old) it may have to stay. We'll see. I've been told she's a sweetie, really mellow, and likes to sit in laps. :)

Snoopy? nooo :)

I feel excited. Like a little kid, really. Totally silly :)

Still looking for great dog names. :) We're bringing her home in a few days and I have some questions for the dog owners out there. ;) I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about the best kinds of dog food to buy? Also what kind of chew toys? Are bones okay or are they dangerous? Wow. I haven't had a dog in so long. I need to read up on this and maybe call the vet and ask lots of questions. I want to be prepared.

yay....puppy homecoming!!!!! didn't you say she was 3 and already knew her name????

As far as food. I would just stick with whatever she is getting now for a few months at least until she adjust to your home and family. Then you can look at changing if needed. There are about a million opinions about what food is best so it can be overwhelming even figuring out who to listen to!!!!!

I did some trial and error with Gabe and finally found one that didn't give him diarrhea!! I'm thinking about the people I know who have dogs and most of us feed something different. Gabe gets a diffferent kind of food than my last dog did. My cats even eat a food of a different brand but it works well for them.

The bones to stay away from are the table bones...they can splinter and get stuck in throats. Again...you're getting a dog that is a little older so your best bet is to talk to the people who are currently caring for her and get the things that she likes. I did that even when I got Gabe as a puppy and Azizi as a kitten. I asked what their favorite toys are and then picked up those things. I also sent a blanket that I had been sleeping with about a week before I picked him up so my smell would be somewhat familiar.

Thanks! ;) She is 3 years old, but was found as a stray and so has only been Bebe for a few weeks. I don't much like Bebe so we're going to rename. Still thinking on that. I can say one thing...I've done some major clutter cleaning getting ready for this puppy. She's already been a positive influence! 5 days and she's coming home. :)

Hi irmajean, I have not been back to this thread in a while and now see you are getting a new family member ! Congradulations ;) It is important to keep her on the same food when you bring her home at least a month . Depending on what she is eating you may not have to change her diet. Their are a lot of super good premium kibbles out there . Some cannot be found at your local petsmart but some can, such as Blue Buffalo , or Wellness. These are quality foods. I feed mine Taste Of The Wild and they love it.

I reccomend you to make a vet appointment soon after bringing her home, get her health checked out first , and the vet will look at her teeth. Teeth can be a issue moreso in smaller breeds. And in dogs over 3 years old. Hopefully your dog will already be fixed so you won't have to worry about that expense. I also reccomend getting her microchipped, if she already is you will need to call the company and update the information, like your address, and phone numbers.

The best things ever as far as what kind of bone to buy is the Bully Stick, they are safe and digestable, and dogs go nuts over them. I take the bully sticks away when they become small to avoid choking . Never give chicken bones or turkey bones, stay away from any type of fatty meats , or tuna fish. Once you choose a good healthy kibble keep her on it as long as she is eating well and not gaining weight.

ABout names , it is reccomended to use short names or two sylabale names for a dog, because it is easier for the dog to remember and respond to her name. I'll tell you a kind of funny fact, people tend to name their dogs that are curremtly the most popular baby names for that yr. So their are a lot of chole's , Maddie's, and Bella's. I asked my son about the movie wher etheir was a Beagle in it, he knows movies LOL, that dog was named Lou, so maybe Louise? that was on the movie Cats And Dogs . SOmetimes people take the wait and see approach and name after they have their dog for a while and then choose. My yorkie I have is Suzi and my shih tzu is Miely .

Edited by mscat

Thanks so much for all of the info, mscat! :)

We named the dog today. Her name is Willow. :)

The placement program that we're getting the dog from takes them to the vets before they are adopted out. Willow has very recently been spayed, had her teeth cleaned (and a few removed), and was also medicated for Lyme. I will have to ask about vaccinations. I hadn't thought about a microchip, but that might be a good idea too.

I've set a place for her food and water bowls and puppy proofed the kitchen. ;) We still need some clips for the gate latches. Have a collar and leash. E picked a black collar and leash with pink paw prints on it. Cute! :-) I just need to buy food and we should be all ready to bring Willow home. :)

I need some tips on housebreaking, if anyone has any. I was told the dog was already housebroken, but she clearly isn't. She needs to be taken outside every 2 hours around the clock. We tried the crate last night and she did not like that at all. I may try a little bit at a time getting her used to the crate today. I've been getting lots of walking exercise! tongue.png

• 2 months later...

I thought it might be nice to write an update about our new dog, Willow. She is doing beautifully and we all love her. :o She's very even-tempered and gentle with the girls. She hardly ever barks. We've been taking her on long walks daily and all of us are getting lots of exercise. I'm actually back to my pre-baby weight :eek: and have been feeling great. Willow can be a handful with pulling on the lead sometimes, but we are working with this. My oldest daughter has taken a big role in helping with the dog's care. So I am very happy I made the decision to bring the puppy home! She's a joy. I'm grateful to those who rescued her and cared for her until she found her forever home here with us. :)

There was a show on Discovery or Animal Planet some 12 years ago having to do with therapeutic pets. Having a pet does help those that are disabled even if it's just for companionship. That's the reason I'm getting a Ferret. I asked if I could have either a Dwarf Caiman or Reticulated Python. I was just having some fun asking about them. Don't have the space or resources to properly take care of such animals.

I took care of ferrets at the animal hospital I used to work in. You can litter train them. I hope you enjoy your pet, AP. :(

The maintenance man wasn't happy whe he found out that I'm considering a Ferret. He kept going on and on about how their odor and how everybody he knew that bought one quickly got rid of it. I think the people he knew didn't do any research before getting a Ferret. The odor is easily addressed with the premium food, regular baths, and being desented. Ferrets are like anything else. The potential buyer needs to weigh in all of the facts before making a decision.

• 1 month later...

Pets are therapeutic! First of all, see yourself where you drop your energy. You will see you are dropping it on one living being with emotions. Pets have emotions same as people. I live with my cat for 2 years and i must say that only positive things happened with her.

Pet can show and can give you love :(

• 4 months later...

We have had our dog for nearly 8 months now. She's brought such joy to our lives. My daughter is very responsible and attentive with her. It is heartwarming to watch the two of them together. I have been hoping that loving Willow will help E to open up her heart to life's experiences. I now walk several miles daily as well. This has been therapeutic in many ways. I'm exercising, spending time in nature, and enjoying some quality time with my daughter. Our decision to adopt a pet has been a gift to all of us. I thought it would be nice to write an update. :)

• 4 months later...

Cute puppies, Lana. :)

I have always had a special bond with animals. When I was a young girl and struggled with anxiety or sadness, there was always a warm, furry creature nearby to cuddle with. I found them very comforting. Animals are pure and they always accept you, no matter what your mood is.

My heart always feels warm when I see Willow's uninhibited joy and zest for life. Puppy's light shines brightly. :-) Our girls adore her.

Hope you continue to enjoy your pets, Lana. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I do not know what I would do without the company of animals in my life. We have 4 cats, 1 dog, and 2 birds, (2500 sq ft home!). On the days that I feel I cannot function outside of my bedroom, they keep me on a functioning schedule. I put their needs before my struggle, since they need to have food and fresh drink, the birds their cover off, and the dog - let outside. I love them all, but I am especially connected with 2 of the cats (1 cat, the dog, and birds are my husbands). There are a couple others in my family who have mental illness struggles and they too are very connected with their pets. There is an unconditional love reciprocated with pets and all pretenses of judgement and rejection are non-existent.

Hello, fanny, and welcome to the community. Love your flower avatar. Very beautiful. :-)

I love animals too. I think they are naturally mirroring to us because they don't have all of the mental "stuff" in the way. We have a dog right now, but I am a cat lover too. One look in their eyes and you go straight to your own heart. They're very pure that way.

I think it's wonderful that your pets help and comfort you, fanny. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)