Mental Support Community

December 21, 2012

Lana73

it's interesting. Makes sense to a degree. We know that everything is in constant motion so it's not such a reach. Especially when they are talking about it being over 800 million years. I guess I'm less concerned about natural evolution than I am about what humans do to destroy the earth every day. We are not good stewards!!!!!

I don't believe in this at all.

And if perhaps, the world does ends... Should it matter? We'll all just die anyway, and that will be the end. Kind of insensitive of me to put it that way, but it's true. You really just have to live for today, and always hope for the best! :)

It would be quite unfortunate for the world to end in December 2012 for me, because that is exactly when I'm supposed to graduate from college, and my whole life would have been wasted in school... :( lol.

Most of us have enough trouble with just the one letter: I. :-)

{Though ponies pooping butterflies would be interesting to watch. You'd think it would mess up their little wings ...}

We're all going to die, whether it's the same day or different ones. Carpe Diem, instead of worrying about Crapé Diems ...

Nah. I had a course in ancient astronomy back in college. The Maya simply believed that things came in cycles, and thought that a really long cycle (that happens to end this year) would bring the end of the world. But they also believed that a new one would start right after, to maintain the cycle. Too, why it would be important to believe in a long-defunct religious view of the world, and this particular view, escapes me.

{Maybe we should just flip the stone over, epp, and start a new calendar on the other side. Hurry, we don't have much time!} :-)

The thing about the end of the world is that it'll probably be over much faster than any other way one could go, not to mention being unpreventable.

I think it still makes more sense to eat healthy and recycle. If the Maya are right about the world ending, it won't matter but it won't hurt, and if they're wrong, you'll feel better about yourself.

{Besides, if the world ends, you will forget us all rather quickly.} ;-)

There's only 12 calendars in a perpetual calendar system. Why would anyone keep going after they realized this? The ancient Mayans were smart enough to recognize that the pattern had come full circle. I just don't buy any of it. I do think it will be an excuse for people to panic and behave badly. After all if the end is near than who cares if you rape and rob and pilage. It is sad but some people think that way. It could be that thinking that brings on the big catastrophy.:(

People need an excuse to panic and behave badly, in your experience? ;-)

Yah. Honestly, Lana, I'm "optimistic" because I have no doubt, on this one. {What do I lose if I'm wrong?} It's just a way of focussing our existential fears onto a specific day. In reality, we all die, we don't know when, and we all have to live with that fear. And, when it's fully accepted, what's to fear?

It's that strange sort of hope we get, where we think "what if I could escape it", that causes us trouble. You can't. So, what are you going to do with today? {One saying I've heard is "live each day in such a way that your loved ones know that you love them, without it needing to be said". Then you have no regrets if you go suddenly.}

Too' date=' why it would be important to believe in a long-defunct religious view of the world, and this particular view, escapes me.[/quote']

It likely hits on a fear that many of us have to some extent...dying. I think we may even fail to confront our deeper personal fears by getting caught up in something like this. Exploring such thoughts may also offer some type of comfort for that which we cannot control. Anyway...

I like to think spiritually. We're all connected. Loving energy is within all of us and it can't be snuffed out by death in form. There can be no death of love or of universal connection. It's always present. This is what fits for me.

Lana, it's good to feel and express appreciation and care. Be in the moment and embrace yourself. :) Mark is being Mark and there's beauty in that. :) Embrace Lana's beauty. What do you think?

And IrmaJean is being IrmaJean:)

On a more serious note, I do, appreciate you all.

And as far as the end of the World.... there were so many times, especially when I was going through tough times when I felt that my world came to an end and.... I am still here.... so I guess after all, I am not too scared. Oops, how did I put a question mark??

My friends and I had an "end of the world" party in 2011. That one had a time and everything!! When the world didn't end....it just turned into a "hey....we're still here!" party. I forget the date right now. We also didn't know which time zone the end of the world was happening in so we drank to all of them.

We'll have to start planning for the next "end of the world." The last end of the world was a really fun party!!