Mental Support Community

Why does he do that?

frazzled1

As many of you know the man I live with is well to put it mildly a bit of a puzzle. He gets upset about things then pretends to make phone calls to people that have nothing to do with the situation. For instance, when my daughter lived with us and he would get upset with something she did or said, he would call our landlord. He really did make some of these calls and others he only pretended to make. Today he disagreed with the amount of past due rent and how I handled the situation. So after getting upset with me and telling me what I should have done, he had a pretend conversation with her in which he cussed her and argued and threatened to move out because he was tired of her attitude. He has done this frequently and often as his lies pile up. He is not by any means a stupid man but why on Earth would he think that anyone would believe that he is actually having a conversation? And what is the reasoning behind this? Does it really give him the sense of control he is obviously seeking?Does it help him vent or get rid of some aggression like hitting a pillow or something to that effect?

Maybe it is some way of releasing aggression and anger? If he avoids directing it at the person he actually wishes to, but that person still hears it, it could be a an indirect or passive way of expressing aggression. I imagine only he knows the actual answer, though. Have you ever confronted him about it?

Several times IJ. I have even caught him by hearing the phone ring in his ear while he was talking to someone. He either avoids talking about it by leaving or changing the subject or he says they hung up on him or he lost the connection. On several occasions he has put his closed flip phone to his ear and spoken to no one. People are put off by this. Some people think he's just some kind of idiot. It's hard for me to decide sometimes just what I think.