Mental Support Community

A spiritual compass with the added benefit of helping with personal strength.

kitszu

You are Strong…When you take your grief and teach it to smile.

You are Brave…When you refuse to allow your fear to control you.

You are Content…When you see a flower and it makes you smile.

You are Loving…When your own pain does not blind you to the pain of others.

You are Wise…When you know the limits of your wisdom.

You are Alive…When tomorrows hope means more to you than today’s despair.

You are Free…When you are in control of yourself and do not wish to control others.

You are Honorable…When you find your honor is to honor others.

You are Merciful…When you forgive in others the faults you condemn in yourself.

I spent a long time hating myself. I thought I was a horrible person (not for any good reason, just because of the things I experienced.)

One day I realized that I could decide to be any type of person I wanted to be. I've spent a lot of time since then choosing to behave like someone I would think was worthy love, affection, loyalty, etc.

The above has had a huge influence on the person I am today. I hope it helps someone else out there too.

Namaste

(which means loosely "the Spirit in me, sees or recognises, the Spirit in you"

It sounds like a Way. :-)

I like the emphasis on looking forward. It's far too easy (and culturally ingrained) to look back at our failures and criticise ourselves. We've been taught that that's how we learn, in fact. But ... what do we learn from the criticism? We already know which actions were "wrong" before we do the criticizing, so it seems to me to make more sense to spend the time looking forward to doing something different rather than back at how "wrong" we were. And it still takes effort, for me.

In a sense, we already are the person we've chosen to be. And the cool thing is that we get to keep choosing.

• 2 years later...

I always thought I was a horrible person too. I didn't empathize with people well. I was happy when bad things happened to people it think because I wanted them to suffer like me. My life has been a mass of extremes. I thought I was the best human around while at the same time I hated myself. I was super happy yet I was super depressed. Mi have bipolar depression so I think that's why. Anyway last year I was put on medication and now I'm the mellowest person I know and it's awesome. The only problem is if I get too excited I get panicky. It always feels good to feel sad and crying because sometimes it's hard for me to tap into that emotion. So it's good when I do. For some reason I find a beauty in sadness. It's real.