Mental Support Community

songs that help you to feel better

Lie_low

Every song Josh Groban sings makes me feel better, even the sad ones or the ones sung in languages I don't even comprehend. His voice makes me feel good inside and eases my anxieties. It makes me feel awed at the beautiful things that exist in this world and how precious a gift that is. This man's voice is tender, pure and angelic...as well as powerful. His voice helped me through many bad nights.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post a thread just like this, glad you did though. I love music, and I have tons of songs that help me to feel better, but this one tops them all. I think you all should listen to it, even though its eminem, it might mean something to you. But if you do, listen to the WHOLE thing.

Beautiful by Eminem

Edited by wtfisgoingon

I have yet to find any music that I find 'soothing' but these, for lack of a better term, help. Each song sort of launches my thinking in a better direction.

One Day You Will - Lady Antebellum

Never Alone- Barlow Girl

God Don't Make Mistakes - Jamie O'Neal

That's the Way it Is- Celine Dion

anything done by Lifehouse (there's just something about the sound of the music and his voice that just get me) But preticularly Broken, If This is Goodbye, Storm, Spin, Sick Cycle Carosel, Who We Are, and Halfway Gone.

Shine -Anna Nalick

Somebody Said a Prayer - Billy Ray Cyrus

The Climb - Miley Cyrus

The Space Between - Dave Matthews Band

Remember That - Jessica Simspon

Move - Thousand Foot Krutch

Always There - Todd Agnew

Most of Jeremy Camp's stuff

Plus One's Exodus album.

I'm Alright, Pain to Kill, No Fear, and I've Got Better Things to Do - Terri Clark

Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson

Starting Over - Saliva

And there are more :)

Creed - What If

...i especially am drawn to the line from the song "...what controls your thoughts consumes your life" ...if your depressed see the negative in things and have bad thoughts, feelings, emotions, think about that quote, and next time you turn on your tv or go out watch something on comedy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There are many songs that lift up my spirits, but this one in particular I have been listening to a lot... One day you will- Lady Antebellum

"One Day You Will"

You feel like you're falling backwards

Like you're slippin' through the cracks

Like no one would even notice

If you left this town and never came back

You walk outside and all you see is rain

You look inside and all you feel is pain

And you can't see it now

[Chorus]

But down the road the sun is shining

In every cloud there's a silver lining

Just keep holding on (just keep holding on)

And every heartache makes you stronger

But it won't be much longer

You'll find love, you'll find peace

And the you you're meant to be

I know right now that's not the way you feel

But one day you will

You wake up every morning and ask yourself

What am I doing here anyway

With the weight of all those disappointments

Whispering in your ear

You're just barely hanging by a thread

You wanna scream but you're down to your last breath

And you don't know it yet

[Repeat Chorus]

Find the strength to rise above

You will

Find just what you're made of, you're made of

[Repeat Chorus]

One day you will

Oh one day you will

Personally, I find the christian band Switchfoot to always be there with a song to cheer me up. With songs like "I Dare You To Move" and "Needle And Haystack Life" and so forth, they just really get to me.

Aside from that, I'd say Gregory And The Hawk with "Boats And Birds" hit me deepest.

[Verse 1]

If you be my star

I'll be your sky

you can hide underneath me and come out at night

when I turn jet black and you show off your light

I live to let you shine

I live to let you shine

but you can skyrocket away from me

and never come back if you find another galaxy

far from here with more room to fly

just leave me your stardust to remember you by

Music I like:

Jethro Tull (yay for old hippie music)

Anything black gospel (though I'm an atheist, who can not feel the love and joy in this music?)

Opera (I'm new to it, but wow!)

Edited by JaneE
sometimes I just need to sthu ^_~

More from me :D

It's My Life - Bon Jovi

Times They Are Achangin' - Bob Dylan

What Faith Can Do and Strong Tower- Kutless [some of these Christian bands just have it all, the right sound the right lyrics! Even as a pagan I can connect.]

Words I Would Say - Sidewalk Prophets

Every Man - Casting Crowns

This Ain't Nothin' - Craig Morgan

Colors, and Breathing Slowly - Crossfade

And a latest favorite: My Best Days Are Ahead of Me - Danny Gokey

Music is so powerful! I feel it has saved me on many occasion. A friend of mine had a brother going through a difficult time and she said she couldn't understand why he kept listening to such depressing music. But I could understand, sometimes it can actually be uplifting.

"You are not alone" by Michael Jackson

Most songs by Daughtry

"Lost" By Michael Bublé

I could go on all night!! :)

• 1 month later...

I don't listen to uplifting music. When I'm depressed, I listen to dark and depressing shit that makes me feel like I'm dead and rotting from the inside. Then I contemplate suicide. And finally, I go to TacoBell.

Anything by The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Misfits, Deftones, Skinny Puppy, NIN, Manson, Portishead (mmmm Morning Air), Hooverphonic, lots of other random stuff.

Some time ago, I wrote an essay on this topic, Elliott Smith and the gift of Vulnerability Music. It fits in with the theme of the thread.

I guess I like to listen to music that skews to the sad side of things more so than the happy music.

Richard Thompson is also an amazing artist in this capacity, but I can't seem to convince anyone I'm friendly with of his utter brilliance.

This one *radiates* sadness - you have been warned: God Love A Drunk

This one is about grief and the sweet aspect of romantic loss: The Ghost of You Walks

Edited by Mark

Interesting.

eNIGMA, you got me thinking about the music we listen to and why. I like moving and emotional music best. What a shocker! :eek: I especially like hopeful and inspirational stuff...but sometimes sad and filled with forlorn as well. I suppose because I identify with all of those emotions and getting into the feel of the song helps me to validate my feelings. Perhaps when you listen to the painful music, in connecting with your feelings through the music, you feel understood and heard in some way. Does it feel cathartic and releasing or does the trip to Taco Bell make you feel better?

Now you've done it IrmaJean... You've opened the door to my Masters thesis. (A very very long time....no wait a minute.....not THAT long ago!!)

I studied the connection between emotion and Music. Music has huge power!!!! Notice how it is used in movies or comercials in order to provoke a particuar emotion. You've got your danger music, the "you should cry now" music. And often...it works!! In these cases, music is used to manipulate.

But it is also used very successfully in a theraputic way. I won't get into the science of it except to say that baroque music has been shown to connect both sides of the brain as does that song with the powerful lyrics that you have been listening to....there's still a lot we don't know...but, Music has been proven to affect mood. For instance, people who are feeing anxious, heart racing etc, when listening to slow calming music, the heart will actually slow to try and match the beat of the music.

If you are feeing low, listening to fast paced "happy" music can play a part in pulling you out of it.

Give it a try!! See if it works for you!!

Edited by danni
more thoughts

Stuff I like when I'm down:

REM - Everybody Hurts

White Stripes - Little Acorns, Rag n Bone (Anything white stripes, really)

Gary Jules - Mad World

Cyndi Lauper - True Colours

James Brown - Live at the Apollo

Beatles - White Album

Weather Report - Black Market

or I just put on Rage Against the Machine and bounce off the walls.

My shameful secret when I'm feeling down? LOL Cats. Honestly. You can't not laugh.

Edited by flat_affect
spelling

I'm amused by eNIGMA visiting Taco Bell when suicidal: that stuff'll kill ya! :-)

When I'm down, I often listen to down stuff. Favorites are The Cherry Popping Daddies (very upbeat Swing until you listen to the lyrics), The Offspring, or old blues. I'm not saying they help much, but they do resonate with something in me, at the time. If I were trying to cheer myself up, I'd probably listen to something a bit more cheerful.

I like "Zoot Suit Riot" by Cherry Poppin' Daddies. Very beaty, get you moving kind of stuff. Cool. :(

Okay. I needed to wake up anyhow. Had a long work night.

Good track =P What's interesting is, some of my favorites like The Cure and The Smiths have a little of both ultra-depressing and ultra-poppy songs. As for lol cats...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/15/129080569011857845.jpg

There's one of my favs I made a while back.