Mental Support Community

Why is cutting so serious?

dvnJ22

The usual criterion is "risk of harm to self or others." And it's quite clear to a doctor that cutting yourself is harmful, even if neither the act nor the intent is fatal, and they're concerned that you don't see that.

It's also habit-forming, and has some tendency, though not a certainty, of escalating. So, it's something that's better if they intervene early.

dvn, do you currently have a therapist to talk to? They might be a source of insight, as well ...

The usual criterion is "risk of harm to self or others." And it's quite clear to a doctor that cutting yourself is harmful, even if neither the act nor the intent is fatal, and they're concerned that you don't see that.

It's also habit-forming, and has some tendency, though not a certainty, of escalating. So, it's something that's better if they intervene early.

dvn, do you currently have a therapist to talk to? They might be a source of insight, as well ...

Understood

I haven't cut in awhile. Mostly because I don't want to fuss over trying to hide scars, disinfect the wound, it's a big hassle. Just wondering why they make a it a big deal.

You could "fire" the part of yourself that's been doing it, and put a different part of yourself in charge ...

The problem is the conflict with the reality that we can't get a new body, if we mess this one up. You get one shot at life, but you get many chances to change how you try to make that work. I know you're struggling with how to do that, at the moment. It may seem like you've been struggling "forever", but if you look at it, it hasn't been that long. It could change fairly quickly; neither of us can predict how much longer it will take. Personally, I believe that the struggle is finite and that you'll find a way.

I think Dr's make a big deal of it, because the dangers are just too high: infection in the blood (septicemia), and accidentally cutting too deep one day. It's also really indicative of great psychic distress which they are compelled to pay attention to. So they jump, partly to help because that's their oath, and partly to prevent accusations of malpractice. It seems the US has a culture of suing.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi;

Cutting may be a way to show self-hatred.

Cutting may be a way to say "I deserve to be punished"

Cutting may be a way to release anger towards ourselves.

Cutting may be a desperate attempt to cope with a problem.

It is serious because of what causes it and the consequences that It may have (To become chronic, infections, too deep cuts, to cut something important -like a tendon-....)

Rouler.

It's not that bad if you know what you are doing and sow yourself up if you do cut too beep practically leave no scars either... Oh wait we are suppose to be against it right... Well in all honesty seriousness comes from others seeing it and automatically thinking you are trying to kill yourself even though suicide is not always the desired effect. Another bad thing is that it becomes addicting and the more you do it the less you feel it no matter how much deeper you go it's like you can't feel it anymore. And a few stitches can't fix everything. It's very hard to stop especially if you try to do it alone which means you are dragging more people into your messed up world, making yourself feel like an outcast and a burden. It's not worth all the fuse, I think about it every single day. That's why it's a big deal because even if you stop you don't really ever get over it.

Hi;

Cutting may be a way to show self-hatred.

Cutting may be a way to say "I deserve to be punished"

Cutting may be a way to release anger towards ourselves.

Cutting may be a desperate attempt to cope with a problem.

It is serious because of what causes it and the consequences that It may have (To become chronic, infections, too deep cuts, to cut something important -like a tendon-....)

Rouler.

I don't see anything bad in those things.

And that would be the reason that you're in trouble at the moment.

You don't see that a desperate attempt to cope with a problem, an attempt that fails so that you have to keep using the coping mechanism, not only doesn't solve the problem, it creates another? Why not get the help that might allow you to find a less desperate, more successful, coping mechanism, one that gradually reduces the problem to manageable proportions or eliminates it, depending on the problem?

"Desperate" implies that you would try anything, but that this is the only thing you believe will work. Have you tried everything (else)? Not thought of trying, and discarded the idea because your prejudices said it wouldn't work, but actually tried?

Really, the worst effects of cutting are not the obvious ones, of damage to the body. Bodies heal.

The worst effects are that the underlying problems remain unaddressed, so you still get to suffer but you still have to cut.

Talk about a "band aid on a gunshot wound" (your phrase, not mine.)

I don't see anything bad in those things.

Would you like to self-teach that you deserve to be punished? Would you like to self-teach that you deserve to feel pain? Would you like to have a "coping plan" that actually doesn't work and just causes bad long-term consequences? (All possibilities don't apply to everyone)--->Sorry If this sounds rude, I just got emotional.

There doesn't exist any kind of problem that could be solved by self-harm. Self-harm only damages the person psychologically and doesn't solve anything. It is only a short-term coping tactic. You won't feel bad/anxious/angry/depress/whatever while you are doing it (The "urge" would be calmed), but then you will feel again like that, because you won't be solving the real problem.

So: real problem unsolved+physical damage+psychological additional damage

????

Is it good?

What could be solved with this? It just makes the bad issues worse..

As Malign has also said, If the physical health is not imminently in danger, the worst problem is not the body; the problem is that what has caused to self-harm is still there and It is unsolved, getting much more problematic with each cut.

Rouler.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you like to self-teach that you deserve to be punished? Would you like to self-teach that you deserve to feel pain? Would you like to have a "coping plan" that actually doesn't work and just causes bad long-term consequences? (All possibilities don't apply to everyone)--->Sorry If this sounds rude, I just got emotional.

There doesn't exist any kind of problem that could be solved by self-harm. Self-harm only damages the person psychologically and doesn't solve anything. It is only a short-term coping tactic. You won't feel bad/anxious/angry/depress/whatever while you are doing it (The "urge" would be calmed), but then you will feel again like that, because you won't be solving the real problem.

So: real problem unsolved+physical damage+psychological additional damage

????

Is it good?

What could be solved with this? It just makes the bad issues worse..

As Malign has also said, If the physical health is not imminently in danger, the worst problem is not the body; the problem is that what has caused to self-harm is still there and It is unsolved, getting much more problematic with each cut.

Rouler.

I have no psychological problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

People/doctors view cutting serious because it means the person cutting hates something about themselves so they punish themselves by cutting and it feels good because you hate yourself and think about punishing yourself for not being what you want because it caused you pain so you think you deserved it because of that thing you hate in yourself, its serious and bad because your hate towards yourself can become bigger which will make you punish yourself in a bigger way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can guess some of the reasons, too, probably. Have you ever shared with him that you used to cut, and why you don't want to any more? He's too young to know everything that happened to you and your sister, but he probably already knows more than you think (plus, he knows stuff that happened to him that you don't know, probably.) At least, don't pretend to him; he knows it was bad.

You know, it's not terribly surprising that he's facing behavioral issues, at the moment. Have you suggested counseling for him, not as "you're so bad you need counseling", but "life so far has sucked badly enough that anyone would need help figuring out what to do next", sort of thing?

A lot of adults expect that kids aren't seriously wondering "why am I here, anyway" until they're older, or at least that if they are, that the answers aren't dangerous. You know from experience that that's not true when home life has been the way it's been. At this point, he's thinking things like "why behave (heck, maybe "why live") when life's going to suck anyway?" He needs two things: to be shown that life doesn't have to suck (as bad as it has been, anyway), and to be allowed to process what has sucked verbally instead of by acting out. That means he needs a listener who respects what he says unconditionally, which is hard when you're also the one in charge of disciplining him.

I used to cut myself in school and I also wanted to die. I was not ready for therapy. I think the best thing to do for someone you love is to just be a part of their life, support and love the best parts of them but be there for the worst, no matter how ugly it gets, if you can.

edit removing stupid disclaimers