Mental Support Community

Do I have PTSD?

setsuna

I am really, really sorry to be posting this. But, long story short, I've always had symptoms of trauma, and now I'm sick of wondering "why?" I want to know the truth.

I remember that pretty much immediately after birth, I had to go to the ICU because the doctors saw that I was bleeding in an area where I should not have bled. Long story short, once again, after about a week, I was released. There was nothing wrong with me.

When I was a couple of months old, I fell off a cabinet, I think it was at least 5 feet tall. I went to the emergency room again, and I got stitches.

I told you all that I have symptoms of trauma. In the past, they included bed wetting, extreme sensitivity to criticism or rejection, low self esteem, and self destructive tendencies. I also had horrible nightmares as a kid.

Once again, I'm really sorry for posting this since my problems seem to be so small. I just want to get to the bottom of things. Is it likely that I have PTSD?

Hello, Setsuna.

Did anything happen recently that might be bringing these feelings up? Are you experiencing any distressful symptoms now?

It's true that we don't diagnose here. I do recall from a course I took, though, that PTSD is caused by exposure to a life-threatening event or events that bring up intense feelings of fear and feelings of helplessness. There may be symptoms of avoidance, flashbacks, hypervigilance and disassociation. You might find this link helpful. http://psychcentral....disorders/ptsd/

Are you currently seeing a therapist?

It's good you decided to reach out and express yourself. We're here to listen.

Take care.