Mental Support Community

Coping w Anxiety

Victimorthecrime

I can definitely empathize, VBN1C. Though my anxiety is no longer ever present as it used to be, I still struggle with it at times. I know it can be extremely uncomfortable. I'm sorry you have been feeling this way. :( Are you aware of anything specific that brings up these feelings? For me, it's often about my feeling a lack of control in any given situation and then fearing my inability to handle the potential outcomes. So building confidence in my coping strategies has been helpful for me. Learning to sit with feelings of uncertainty and lack of control as well as pain and fear has also been helpful. Taking time to practice self-care by using relaxation techniques such as meditation has been helpful. Self-awareness of triggers can be a good place to begin helping yourself. When and why do the feelings come up? Sometimes if I can get a coping strategy going quickly enough, my anxious feelings ease before they take hold. Life can be challenging and stressful for sure. :-( It's good you are reaching out to others.

Take care.

A lot of us can relate to struggling with anxiety. For me, getting a little space between me and my thoughts can really help. It's not the same as repression or distraction, it is taking a step back so that I am not engulfed; I am observing what is happening with my thoughts, not hooking into them.

Another person here once said that it is impossible to feel anxious when your body is completely relaxed. That might be why people reach for drugs, alcohol and sex as the answer, for that temporary relaxation, but there are healthy ways to cultivate physical calm too. Learning breathing techniques can be effective, for example.

I can definitely empathize, VBN1C. Though my anxiety is no longer ever present as it used to be, I still struggle with it at times. I know it can be extremely uncomfortable. I'm sorry you have been feeling this way. :( Are you aware of anything specific that brings up these feelings? For me, it's often about my feeling a lack of control in any given situation and then fearing my inability to handle the potential outcomes. So building confidence in my coping strategies has been helpful for me. Learning to sit with feelings of uncertainty and lack of control as well as pain and fear has also been helpful. Taking time to practice self-care by using relaxation techniques such as meditation has been helpful. Self-awareness of triggers can be a good place to begin helping yourself. When and why do the feelings come up? Sometimes if I can get a coping strategy going quickly enough, my anxious feelings ease before they take hold. Life can be challenging and stressful for sure. :-( It's good you are reaching out to others.

Take care.

What causes it is any fear regarding the future, having to deal w things & people that I would rather avoid. For example I just purchased a new car because my old one was from the year 2000 and was literally coming apart. The thought of deciding what new car to buy and when and how was very annoying to say the least & I am glad it is over.

You are right Irma that just learning to be with the feelings is a huge help.

A lot of us can relate to struggling with anxiety. For me, getting a little space between me and my thoughts can really help. It's not the same as repression or distraction, it is taking a step back so that I am not engulfed; I am observing what is happening with my thoughts, not hooking into them.

Another person here once said that it is impossible to feel anxious when your body is completely relaxed. That might be why people reach for drugs, alcohol and sex as the answer, for that temporary relaxation, but there are healthy ways to cultivate physical calm too. Learning breathing techniques can be effective, for example.

I think everyone feels anxious in varying degrees throughout their life. The things you listed are often what many of us feel anxious about.

I don’t know if you worry along with feeling anxious, but if you do, remember the only thing that worrying does is take time from your life. It changes nothing.

Some things I find helpful:

If you find yourself thinking about potential negative outcomes or a hypothetical issue that could develop down the road distract yourself. Say out loud “STOP”. Then distract yourself by taking a walk---getting out into nature and moving is a good way to reduce anxiety, calling a friend and helping them, or read something funny or watch something funny on TV or a movie. Purposefully distract yourself with an activity that feels good.

Stay in the present. Not in the past where it began, or go to the unknown future. Focus on your breathing. Breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. As you’re doing this think only of your breathing… feel your breathing. If thoughts pop into your mind, that is natural, shake them out and begin again to focus on your breathing. Work up to five minutes a day. That may take some time. The next time you feel anxious, focus on your breathing. It can really clear and calm your mind.

Designate time to think about the things that are making you feel anxious--- 15 minutes in the middle of the day. Ask, 'Is it my problem?" And secondly, 'Do I have any control over it?” If you do, write down what you can control (make a positive change) and then set it aside and get physical ---move; a brisk walk, a run or any exercise. Laugh, or put on some upbeat song and sing and/or dance to it. Use your hands to create or build something. Focus on the thing you are doing.

Your problems are real and they need attention, but not until you can put them into perspective and you really can’t do that while you are stressing about them. Wait to make any decisions or actions until you can without emotion and then make informed decisions (specifically and realistically what do you have control over that will have a positive outcome). If you get stuck ask others for help.

And, remember you are a human and living brings us circumstances and situations that are out of our control and make us feel anxious. But, we can control how we respond. I know, easier said than done.

Good stuff Ken, thanks. Yes staying present is key in order for me to sort out what matters & what is actionable. Thing is I am a day dreamer type person and it is work for me to focus. I do enjoy writing so sometimes just breaking down my 'to do' list into doable steps can help get me moving. Often taking that first step makes the difference. Still there are times when all the right attitude and analysis just yield to negativity and I guess that is when I just need to take a break until the storm passes so to speak.