Mental Support Community

Need help to convince my girlfriend to live

JeremyMe

My girlfriend is severely depressed because she thinks she made wrong career choices, she thinks she is useless, it's all too late, thinks there is no hope, no future , no hope to escape her pain. all these thoughts have compounded over time and now she's in so much pain right now, her suffering has become unbearable for her she just wants to die to escape.

If tried everything to convince her and right now i can't be with her even, we are from different parts of the world and i had to leave her to go home for a year.

She knows how much i and everyone loves her, i've tried convincing her that you never know what will happen in the future etc, that things can change. But she is obssessed the future will only ever bring disaster to her.. she just wants to die

She refuses to see a therapist or anyone

I have contacted her parents just before, i emailed them and told them how bad the situation really is and that if they can ring a mental health proffesional to help her..

I am asking desperately if any one can give advice on how i might be able to talk her out of these suicidal thoughts, i need to convince her to seek help.

Even just advice on how to make her feel less helpless.. i am lost... i am scared of losing her

She says why can't people just want her to die peacefully,, that its cruel to want a person who is suffering to live.

Any advice please,

thank you

Welcome to our community, JeremyMe.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It's always difficult to see someone we love in pain. :( I hear you that it is frightening and you feel helpless.

I don't think that any of us can really convince another person to choose to live. We can be there for a person, stand with them through their pain, and possibly point out different ways to view their situation and suggest different options. We can listen with empathy and without judgment. We can offer a safe place for the person to share their feelings, all of them, at any time, day or night. We can express our care, concern, and love.

I understand this is very difficult and painful. :( I think it's important to remember to take care of yourself too through this. Maybe see a therapist for yourself for support. We are here too to listen and support you.

• 3 months later...