Mental Support Community

Job fears

Victimorthecrime

Congrats, @Klingsor!!! I'm so happy about this news! You'll have an income, a good addition to your CV, and "something to do without the need to go to a collective of annoying, potentially infected people"!!!

I hope this luck you're not used to won't force your subconsciousness to some form of self-sabotage. I believe that you'll cope well. Even if it's not a job that could "make you happy", it's undoubtedly a step forward that allows you to get rid of the dangerous feeling that there's nothing to do (to move on from the dark place you'd been in for some time).

And, please, don't have high expectations of yourself, don't think you should be perfect and / or please everyone. I don't know if you have these problems, but if you had, it would explain the attitude and behaviour that I saw in the short video (of the overly anxious man) you posted with the comment that it describes you. And it could cause you unfounded problems in the new job. I hope you'll share your worries, complaints, ... as well as any everyday experiences anytime you'll feel like it. :)  

God luck!! 

Edited by LaLa

Thanks @LaLa and @Victimorthecrime I did get the job and accepted, it's full-time work, pay is minimal, but it does come with health coverage I was pleasantly surprised to find out. Most importantly I won't have to move, my routine won't have to change all that much and it will even add some much needed structure to my days. That all is good for my mental health. I might talk more about it in my blog. Thanks for the well wishes and kind words.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:31 PM, Klingsor said:

Thanks @LaLa and @Victimorthecrime I did get the job and accepted, it's full-time work, pay is minimal, but it does come with health coverage I was pleasantly surprised to find out. Most importantly I won't have to move, my routine won't have to change all that much and it will even add some much needed structure to my days. That all is good for my mental health. I might talk more about it in my blog. Thanks for the well wishes and kind words.

Good to hear.  Can you say what field of endeavor?

Prefer not to. It will pay my bills for now and that’s enough to get me through the rest of this hellish thing called 2020. Also you can tag people which triggers a notification without quoting their entire post by typing an @ symbol followed immediately by their name. Example: @Klingsor (It didn’t turn blue here because I didn’t actually select my name from the menu that pops up, so the editor is reading it as just a text string). Some of us have anxiety issues with our posts and often delete or modify them. I am aware the admins can likely see the originals and all the edits, but they won’t share it publicly without immediately compromising the trust of their members on a mental health board. Just FYI because I always feel like I’m on trial when it’s done to me continually. When I quote somebody I try to strictly confine it to the pertinent sentence (or sentences if it’s verbose). 

On 7/14/2020 at 2:28 AM, Klingsor said:

I am aware the admins can likely see the originals and all the edits,

Unfortunately, they can't. They can see hidden posts, but when you edit your post, the original is forever gone. :( Only people who have e-mail notifications for new posts (if it's possible here - I'm not even sure, I just know it works for private messages) can probably see the original post in their e-mail.

• 2 years later...

Saw a quote on the net today, attributed to the “Prussian Army”. Unable to verify but thought it interesting: 

“I distinguish four types. There are clever, stupid, hardworking, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and hardworking; their place is the General Staff. The next ones are stupid and lazy; they make up 90% of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties because he possesses the mental clarity and strength of nerve necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is both stupid and hardworking; he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always only cause damage.”

I found this remarkable. I think it is universally applicable to any organization. I’m my experience in private business you could propose the following:

1. Clever/Lazy - business executives, owners, innovators

2. Clever/Hardworking - operations supervisors, IT, support staff, analysts

3. Stupid/Hardworking - ALL middle managers, bureaucrats,  consultants, project managers, engineers, doctors, dentists, anyone who “lives to work”

4. Stupid/Lazy - the vast majority of human beings not lucky enough to land in category #1 and sociosexually normalized enough to not fall into the loser/dweeb/beta categories #2, 3.

• 1 month later...

@LaLa I am ok 🙂 I have my ups and downs like anyone but I am doing fine. The pandemic sent me to work at home (WAH) and it’s been a change, mostly good, but sometimes interacting with people remotely gets tiresome. It’s fertile ground for misunderstanding. Nothing can replace being able to look someone in the eye, assessing if they are just having a bad day or if there’s a bigger problem. 

other than that just life and taking care of business, getting some work done on the house. That kind of stuff.

How have you been? The last thing I recall you left a job or volunteer work that you were displeased with. Let me know what else is been going on.