Mental Support Community

Self

mts

snapback.pngnother, on 10 December 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

If any organism fails to fulfill its potentialities, it becomes sick, just as your legs would wither if you never walked. But the power of your legs is not all you would lose. The flowing of your blood, your heart action, your whole organism would be the weaker. And in the same way if man does not fulfill his potentialities as a person, he becomes to that extent constricted and ill. This is the essence of neurosis—the person’s unused potentialities, blocked by hostile conditions in the environment (past or present) and by his own internalized conflicts, turn inward and cause morbidity. “Energy is Eternal Delight,” said William Blake; “He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.”

so true.

I've read that before too that you can't love another without loving yourself first. My personal view is that it can be a bit more complicated and complex than that. I also think it can work both ways and be reciprocal. I think when I connect with my deepest level of care and concern for another, I can also begin learning how to care for myself in a similar way. The self-love potential is there and perhaps I can't offer it to others in full capacity without first fully feeling it for myself, but I believe it can be cultivated. I think that starts with self-awareness and self-compassion.

Klingsor, I'm sorry you felt ---- :(

Wishing you both healing.

Thanks for responding to my ghost-post. What makes it worse is that I'm in so much debt and I should be trying to do something but I just don't have the emotional strength; somehow I just feel like giving up and letting them take it as far as they want. It's "a world of trampling and being trampled upon" indeed.

wow, what a coincidence, i'm in debt too. and i also don't have emotional strength (or physical for that matter) for anything.