Mental Support Community

Confidence / Self Confidence

Victimorthecrime

My absence of self-confidence has absolutely nothing at all to do with how others perceive me. It doesn't seem that way only because I tend to agree with my detractors and hate them all the more for it. It is something wholly within myself that is invisible to other people, except in the outward manifestations of insecurity. People have complimented me innumerable times for different reasons, and it means nothing to me because I don't believe it or see the worth of it for myself. External reactions hold meaning for me insofar as they confirm my own perceptions; otherwise, I am utterly indifferent to what people think. This problem is completely a personal problem within my own experience; it's a lack of an assignable efficacy to my being.

If I woke up in the morning and felt within me that "something" that separates me from the men I envy, I would not give others' opinions of myself even a passing glance, positive or negative - I would simply be.

I hear you. Have you always felt this way?

• 2 months later...

This may seem odd but one of the things that gave me confidence this last miserable week was literally visualizing my death. Picturing my dead body rotting in a cheap box in the earth with worms and bacteria hard at work puts everything in perspective. In that context, how does anything matter? Who gives a fuck if our country is being run by criminals and terrorists? Who gives a fuck if I never date again? Who gives a fuck if I declare bankruptcy or any other awful thing happens? And most of all within this vision I truly found the fortitude to not give a fuck what the haters think, the cheap shot artists, people so pathetic and miserable that they would cherish the ego morsel of hurting me, a walking breathing pathetic corpse of a man.

• 6 months later...

In spite of everything I always work at self improvement. I just got back from a brisk 45 minute walk and am generally taking care of business today. It's just in my nature to work hard and fight on. Along w exercise I take vitamins and herbs and try to eat healthfully and I love to sleep. I just need to find a way to channel more energy into positive change.

In spite of everything I always work at self improvement. I just got back from a brisk 45 minute walk and am generally taking care of business today. It's just in my nature to work hard and fight on. Along w exercise I take vitamins and herbs and try to eat healthfully and I love to sleep. I just need to find a way to channel more energy into positive change.

Good for you! :) I enjoy walking as well. I do find I am more motivated to do this when I have 2 pair of puppy eyes begging me to. We walked in some seriously cold weather last winter. Lots of layers. I agree that walking is a very healthy activity for both our mental and physical well-being.

Keep on keeping on. I wish you all the best, Victim.

Edited by IrmaJean
typos...

Thanks very much Irma Jean. I am trying to make rational decisions and put in work where I feel it might do some good. Sometimes I hate to even sound optimistic because in my life that is like inviting disaster but I will say this - there are some green shoots so hopefully they take root and grow!

Thanks very much Irma Jean. I am trying to make rational decisions and put in work where I feel it might do some good. Sometimes I hate to even sound optimistic because in my life that is like inviting disaster but I will say this - there are some green shoots so hopefully they take root and grow!

too late.... :P

• 2 months later...