Mental Support Community

Do you know what this dog is doing?

Jeep

I've seen the video before. Our dog does this kind of thing all the time when she wants attention (please pet me!). The only difference being that she will get very hyper and jump all over you too. This dog is trying to get the little boy's attention and seems to want to be petted, but the dog is also very patient and gentle. I don't think any of it's staged and if the dog is trained, he/she has been trained to be calm. We are still working on that aspect with ours..

That's a lot of sins for one pet! :-P

Does her dog have any of the virtues at all?

Most dogs I've met are extremely affectionate, with different levels of self-control about expressing it. It might be hard to define whether, or what it would mean exactly to say, the dog "really cares". I have seen very self-sacrificing acts by dogs, and you hear occasionally about a dog that even protected a family member at the risk or cost of its life. As 'finding' says, though, I doubt that you can account for their behavior precisely in human terms, if only because we have enough trouble accounting for our own behavior in human terms. :-)

I hope you're not feeling that anyone's making fun of you for wondering, though, Jeep.

That's a lot of sins for one pet! :-P

I am afraid it's doomed, I don't have the heart to tell my mum.

Does her dog have any of the virtues at all?

Um it makes a good hoover, as long as what it is picking up is edible like dropped crisps(potato chips) and things.

Most dogs I've met are extremely affectionate, with different levels of self-control about expressing it. It might be hard to define whether, or what it would mean exactly to say, the dog "really cares". I have seen very self-sacrificing acts by dogs, and you hear occasionally about a dog that even protected a family member at the risk or cost of its life. As 'finding' says, though, I doubt that you can account for their behavior precisely in human terms, if only because we have enough trouble accounting for our own behavior in human terms. :-)

Thanks Malign.

I hope you're not feeling that anyone's making fun of you for wondering, though, Jeep.

Thanks again Malign.

Some breeds are very patient with children, I've noticed. I've seen people bring golden retrievers to school to work with the kids.

I like red setters because they are beautiful and lurchers because they have so much energy and bounce around a lot, they are pretty funny to watch really, one place where I worked had three, they were totally mental.

I've always been a cat person, but we have 2 dogs now. One is a beagle and the other a hound mix and both are energetic. We walk with a friend who has an Irish setter mix and she is sweet!

One cool thing about the video is the boy (who apparently has Down's syndrome) is interacting with the dog. That has to be positive for him, I would think. As for do pets care, I believe they can sense distress or some of them seem to anyway. I have had many cats over the years cuddle with me when I felt upset. I have always found pets comforting.