Mental Support Community

Help I feel so alone

Jeanne

Can you interrupt the aloneness, for instance find a support group or Alcoholics Anonymous?

Do you have access to a therapist?

I'm sorry that you're feeling so helpless, but if you can reach out to us here, other things are also possible.

You're not alone. Tons of people are trying to quit drinking right now. AA isn't the only option. Even support groups in general are only one way. If you find something doesn't work for you, try something else. I don't write about it much here, but I have had a hell of a time trying to quit and stay quit, nonetheless I've been sober no fewer than 10 of the past 12 months. I've fallen down many times but I keep getting back up. The question is, do you really want to be sober, or do you just think you're "supposed" to.

Not being able to quit is a horrible feeling. For me I could feel alone even surrounded by people who love me because I kept my situation to myself, thinking I could fix it myself, leaving myself so alone with something so much bigger than me, something that I had no chance of fixing myself. I'm sorry, I struggle to express myself right. But, what I'm trying to say is, is there someone you could honestly share what's going on with? If you can't do that with someone that might be able to help you then I would suggest what the others suggested, a support group, or AA. In AA you would feel less alone because the people there will understand exactly what you're going through. Have you ever been to rehab? For me I can't put it down without separating myself for at least a little while. But every is different, some people are stronger. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you luck, it's such a hard thing to do.

• 1 year later...