Mental Support Community

scwatk01

Ok this may seem like nothing but it's a big deal to me. I really care about this person (her name is Sara). Sara was a former teacher of mine and we were really cool when I was a student and a month after I graduated, she came to my job. Of course, I was super happy to see her and I asked her if she wanted to be friends. The look she gave me when I said that was a look I've never seen before. She looked at me like as if I asked her to marry me. So, since that awkward encounter, I feel like she's trying to avoid me. I feel like I may have creeped her out. I've sent her emails apologizing for me being awkward and asking for her forgiveness but I feel like she either deletes or ignores my emails. I've been really sad for the past week and I don't know what to do. Sorry if this was too long to read.

I'm sorry you are feeling so sad. I'm a little unclear as to what you mean when you say 'she came to my job'. Do you mean she is working at the same place as you? If that's the case, then I'm sure it will be a little awkward for both of you for a while. Sometimes it's hard for us to understand that the other person doesn't understand what you are saying the way you mean them to. I've had that happen to me too. You say something completely innocent, but the other person takes it in a completely wrong or different way. Try not to worry about it so much, it happens, and I know it hurts, but there isn't much you can do to fix it really, except give it time. One word of advice I would like to give is this: don't keep trying to apologize to her and get her to see that you didn't mean anything bad in what you said. I've tried that and it just makes things worse. I hope things work out for you. Take care.

I take this to mean you work in like, a store, and she came in and you served her? The thing is, she's a teacher, and though you were 'cool' with her, it doesn't mean you had the basis of a friendship. You will have only had a handful of teachers in your life, whereas she will have taught hundreds or even thousands of students. If she became 'friends' with every one of the students she was 'cool' with, she would be overrun. I like the guy at the corner shop I buy cigarettes from, it doesn't mean I want to be friends with him. The boundaries between ex students and teachers being friends are unclear and she is at risk of losing her job or even career if anything was dragged up or if anyone found out, whether you're in primary school or university, it's unprofessional and that's probably why she was so horrified. Quit emailing her and move on, you're just digging yourself a deeper hole. Accept the rejection, stop dwelling on it, you've got your whole life ahead of you.