Mental Support Community

Not being able to cope with certain things in life. Have caused me major problems for 27 years.

Theresa

Hi I am new here. I have being trying for years to get better. I feel like since I couldn't cope with things in my life I shut down part of myself and have caused physical problems for many years for myself. I really need help to unlock myself. I have been to therapists mental and physical and tried different meds and read books on these subjects and have tried almost everything to get better. Please respond if you can relate or know what I can do. thank-you. Theresa

hi theresa, and welcome to the community.

i can definitely relate. i'm not really into meds, or "professionals" etc., but i've also read a lot and researched extensively, and have yet to find a solution.

anyway, i don't wanna bum you out, just saying that i think i get where you're coming from, and am here to listen to (or read) what you post.

please take care.

Dear Glennj,

When my only child was two years old I sprained my back. I half tripped in a hole. Before that I was experiencing some spasms in my back if I lifted a bucket of water to mop etc. I have always been an insecure person and probably anxious. I loved being a mom but it was subconciously bringing out my insecurties and conciously. When i got hurt i went into a frenzy of worry like who is going to take care of my daughter if I don't get better etc. If it was just my husband and I , I would have just said I will get better and do what I have to do. Having a child took away my security with in myself. As I am a pretty dependent person. So of course I did my very best through these last 27 years. But I am ashamed that I am fearful like this. And my fear was enough to cause physical problems and some are physical problems but it's very hard to heal when you have locked part of yourself down inside because you have fear. Trying to explain to see if anyone can relate or help me. Thank-you. Theresa

Welcome to the community, Theresa.

I can remember when we brought our firstborn baby home from the hospital, I would feel afraid at times about the huge responsibility. If you hurt yourself when your child was very young, I can see why this would have been especially frightening for you.

But I am ashamed that I am fearful like this. And my fear was enough to cause physical problems and some are physical problems but it's very hard to heal when you have locked part of yourself down inside because you have fear.

Do you know what part of you is locked down and what you are fearing? Sounds like you have been experiencing a lot of anxiety for a long time. Many of us struggle with anxiety at times, myself included. It can be very difficult to cope with. :( Is this something you discussed in therapy? Have you found anything that is helpful to ease your fears?

Take care.