Mental Support Community

Off topic rant

gone

Ok, I just watched yet another commercial showing an incompetent man trying to run the household while the wife is gone. These just make my blood boil. I get so sick of seeing some guy in the middle of what looks like WW3 or a terrorist bombing trying to hide the carnage from his wife, with either a baby or two or three kids tearing the place up. She walks in, looks wide eyed at the mess and starts to expertly put everything in order while "F"ing worthless hubby sheepishly goes in to watch tv or something.

My wife is a better cook than I am, but I keep a MUCH cleaner kitchen when I cook. Twice in our marriage I've cooked our thanksgiving meal, lock stock and barrel just to be able to say I've done it.

My wife's in education. She's been to conferences for one, two or even three nights. I know it'd surprise the a$$holes that write these spots, but I had a hot meal on the table, the kids were clean, homework done and into bed on time and my house did NOT look like Attila the Hun just rampaged through it.

Women aren't portrayed as sophomoric, incompetent boobs. This is another place where media portrayal of men just really pisses me off royally. And it doesn't matter whether the guy is white, black, young or old. If this person has a penis and testicles they are absolutely incapable of being an adult and parenting the kids or a household.

I'm still pissed off. Rants done.

Oh all the time dude. It is open season on men. We never advanced society one bit. No science, no medicine, no clean water, no waste disposal, no indoor plumbing, no electricity, no roads, no buildings, no rule of law, no finance, no agriculture - men have done nothing but get in the way of the worlds true heros.

Feminism is a hate movement towards men and turning the woman into a working slave. And as for gender roles, portraying men as all dumb idiots and the women as the sensible intelligent one has nothing to do with any gender role. It's about uplifting the woman because she is the main consumer of products.

When I stop and think about it, it always seems to be cleaning products that's hawking this trash.

It still pisses me off. They still show men as immature, clueless idiots.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just, right now watched an AT&T commercial on Fox News. It showed a helpless guy trying to take care of his three kids. The guy on the commercial got his duties about half right. The mom was stepping in with her smart phone monitoring the house, unlocking and relocking the door and just generally being a watchful, benevolent God helping the poor husband and dad care for his poor, hapless kids.

Once again we men are portrayed as happy, bumbling, clueless idiots. Kinda like a dumb, good natured dog. The females are always portrayed as highly successful. Making business trips, engaging in the work world and multitasking the hell out of every situation while still having to take care of good 'ol clueless at home.

Once again I'm so pissed off I really wish I had some sort of dealings with AT&T so I could call today and drop their arrogant, gender discriminating asses.

I'm only one guy, but I make sure I NEVER buy any products that have annoyed me for any reason with their commercials or product placements.

EDIT: It's 9:00 Wednesday. May 27.

Corporate pandering to women consumer's egos is hardly an instance of gender inequality or man-hating. You ever notice how 90% of women on tv are totally sexy, even the ones who are supposedly to be unsexy to make the sexy ones look even sexier? That's just pandering to male consumers sex-drives.

It's pure greed, nothing societal or anything sinister(at least more sinister than pure greed is).

Yea it's been the sitcom cliche' since the Honeymooners. The wife is the brains of the operation where the man of the house is a bumbling fool....But seriously folks. Does this really bother you that much?

Yeah it really does bother me that much. I'm so damn sick of seeing men portrayed as incompetent and clueless when it comes to kids and coordinating a household. I think after a while this affects thinking in the business world and society at large.

You repeat a lie often enough and after a while the low IQ uninformed crowd will believe it. They don't think for themselves. They question nothing. They just see it on TV and automatically believe it. (this is the same mindless crowd that have heard bigger is better so many times they automatically believe it, whether it applies to them or not.)

This is why in so many divorce cases the kids are automatically given to the mother. If the father chooses to fight for them, he'd better have a fat bank account and a PHD to prove he's half as smart as the mom.

I don't think men are any better than women at running a house or a business, but I mean DAMN! We're not the incompetent idiots we're made out to be either.

"will also acknowledge that men and women are different and we have different traits that complement each other."

I really believe this. There are things that women are better at, there are things that men are better at.

My boys when young just never wanted to play with dolls. They weren't told they couldn't, they just didn't.

My daughter never played with the boys toy guns or Tonka trucks. We never told her she couldn't, she just never had an interest.

Of course, when they were old enough they all learned proper firearm handling and shooting. I can't say Stephanie particularly enjoyed it or was into it, but she knows how to shoot, drop a clip (or unlatch a cylinder) and clear a round already in the stovepipe. The boys just took to guns like a duck to water.

I disagree w you on this one Shame. When a message is repeated over and over, it's no accident. Someone has an agenda somewhere. It is interesting that you, a feminist, state that putting men down is something women find appealing enough that it would win their attention and their pocketbooks too.

Regarding the repetition, in fiction(especially advertisements) it is common to use tropes because they are relateable to the audience. The Bumbling Dad trope is a very common trope and it exists from a time way before women's rights issues were as ubiquitous as they are now. It was created primarily from male writers, so this repetitive message is not one of misandry. And feminism is not the defense of all things female. Women contribute to gender inequality and the patriarchy all the time in everyday life. Humans are imperfect by our nature, and of course some women take pleasure in seeing women win the battle of the sexes that we are all constantly reminded of. I was raised by television, and the boys always used to face off against the girls in whatever the plot was, and when the boys won, I always felt like I won. It was incredibly stupid, looking back, but human nature is stupid, sometimes, and advertising always tries to play off of this.