Mental Support Community

panic attacks

neonscreaming

Hello im new here and i was wondering if anyone had any thing that helps them through a panic attack because mine have become some thing i can no longer handle on my own. I am in treatment for an eating disorder which adds extra stress but my treatment team jas not been able to help much with my panic attacks. Any advice is welcomed.

Hi, did you try or meditation/deep-breathing? Letting your body control your breathing for a while and learning to relax all the muscles in the body. Panic attacks might be a result of negative thought patterns so you could try behavioural therapy, I always found one part of that which was slowly reading to myself aloud helpful. It can also be relaxing to spend time in nature.

Hi Neon, have you ever tried the herb called St. John's Wort? It is helpful for anxiety as are some others if you want to try the natural route. But for severe chronic anxiety you may want to see a psychiatrist. There are medications that help and don't zombify you. Not trying to push drugs on you but for some people with insurmountable anxiety it is the only real answer.

Of course exercise, meditation, getting out of doors as mts alluded to are all on the plus side of the ledger.

For me anxiety is directly tied to the externals of my life: how I am doing financially, physically, socially. The latter is truly lacking and causes me despair more than anxiety. But I have to acknowledge that there are people that have it far worse than me so poopy on my silly moods and I wish everyone that reads this the very best.

• 2 weeks later...