Mental Support Community

new here, i have ptsd

digger

i ve had ptsd since the 80's I spent 12 years in the Marine Corps. i still have horrible dreams almost ever nite, i take several kinds of meds for this, i still cant get enough relief so that means i perform badly at my job. and in my personel life. i belong to a support group for vets, it helps alittle. i just need somewhere to be.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Digger and welcome to our community,

Can you tell us more about your self? How did you get PTSD and what types of experiences did you have before the Marine Corp? In addition to the medications and the support group, are you getting psychotherapy for the PTSD? Tell us more about you work and personal problems.

Allan

I dont like to talk about why i have ptsd, it bothers me alot, some of the thjings i cant remember but are getting help with. im on effexor and trazadone, both helps to a point. i went in the service when i was 17 and got out in 85. before the marines i was just a kid. now i m a foreman for a excavating company here in Knoxville, TN. i use to have more good days then bad, now i feel ive fell back in this dark hole and cant get out. and i shouldnt say this, but 2 years ago i shot myself in the head, it was almost fatel. since ive not tried again.

Guest ASchwartz

Hello Digger,

I am saddened by the fact that you made a serious and malignant suicide attempt two years ago. It also alarms and worries me that you continue to have serious PTSD symptoms even though you are on two good medications.

Therefore, I want to urge you to see your psychiatrist and report your symptoms. The medications may not be working as good as they were before. That happens and that is why you need to report the latest on what you are experiencing.

Good sleep is a vitally important ingredient to recovery from PTSD. It may be that the nightmares are interfering with sleep even though you take Trazadone.

However, I need to ask you another question and I do not want you to feel offended.

Many guys who were in the Marine Corp and suffered PTSD drink a lot more than they should. Are you drinking or using any other drugs such as Marijuana, etc? I am only asking because, if you are, you may not be aware that alcohol and drugs make the symptoms worse despite the medication. Also, if you are it is important that you tell your psychiatrist.

Are you having any suicidal thoughts now and do you think about how to do it again? If the answers to those two questions are yes, you should report to the emergency room of the hospital, probably the VA hospital and report your symptoms. They will help you feel safe again. We do not want to risk losing you.

Are you married, do you have a family, do you have children, do you live alone, do you have friends and do you socialize with people?

Allan

Digger,

Let me second that smile :) and say welcome to you. I hope this place can become a good place to be for you.

I worked for a year at a VA hospital during my psychology internship and helped lead PTSD groups during that time. So, I have some sense for the sort of resources you may have available to you. I remember that some of the guys were really able to support one another in a way so that they could receive it from one another without feeling patronized. Having access to peers who understand what you're going through from having themselves lived something similar is so important. People who haven't lived with PTSD have great difficulty appreciating the unwanted intensity of PTSD.

I also know that it's not always helpful to talk about trauma, because sometimes you're better off distracting yourself. Among the many good ways to do that can be to try to help out other people. If that seems like a managable task and a useful idea (and that varys from person to person), maybe that is something you can offer to other hurting people you meet here.

Mark

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Digger,

Funny you mention combat because there is a program called "Puppies Behind Bars," located in New York City, that trains psychiatric service dogs for veterans who have suffer from PTSD. I don't know which of the wars you were in (isn't it sad that there have been so many?) but you might qualify for such a dog. They are not pets but highly affectionate and loyal service dogs that know how to provide comfort to veterans when they are experiencing symptoms. The rest of the time they are great companions. I want to urge you to go to http://www.puppiesbehindbars.org and see what you can find out. If you qualify for such a dog there is no cost to you.

Believe me, I have seen the results and I can tell you that these dogs have worked miracles.

Allan:)

Guest ASchwartz

Digger,

Never, ever give up hope. We humans have an endless capacity for repair and bouncing back, even from the worst of circumstances and emotions.

Allan