Mental Support Community

New to this site

Rosy75

Hello everyone

I'm new to this site. I have suffer from anxiety for quite some time, but just a few years ago my swallowing phobia develop and it has gotten worsed after my first panic attack experience six months ago, I don't know how or why it develop but it's ruining my life. I have a fear of swallowing solids I feel like the food it's going to get stuck at my throat and I will choke. I can physically feel my swallowing muscles and my throat tensed up and the food stays loged up in my throat and I feel this terryfying fear all over my body until I finally make myself swallowed. Sometimes I over chew my food until it's liquid and still it's hard to swallowed. I have noticed that it gets worsed when I'm eating in a crowded place or someone it's wacthing me eating. Then, it's even hard to swallow my own saliva, this has gotten worse that I get like this even when I'm by myself! I feel so depress to think that I'm going to live with this phobia all my life, I can't tell my family because they will think it's silly , I even think it's silly but I can't help it. I'm so consious about my swallowing. Is there anyone out there that is going thru the same experience that can give me any hope.

Welcome to the community, Rosy. You mention being unable to speak with your family about your problem, but can you talk to a doctor about it? As silly as you think this problem is, clearly your inability to swallow can have some foreseeable and serious consequences. So I do not think this problem is silly at all. Rather, you should address this issue in all earnest at your earliest convenience.

Hi

I have been seeing a psych but it has not help with the swallowing but it has help with the panic attacks. What else can I do I would like to attent a support group or talk to someone that has gone thru this and has found some control over it. What blog thread can I join? Thanks for answering back.