Mental Support Community

I have an Anger problem.

Revenant

Hi,

This is cliche but; my name is Chris and I have a very serious anger management problem. I have allowed my anger to eat away at my relationships with my friends, family, and worst of all, my wife. I have allowed it to destroy my marriage, and seriously affect my work.

My wife and I are on the verge of divorce. This is entirely because of my anger issues. She is a kind person, and over the last three years, I have become a monster. The worst part was I lied to myself about all of this. I told myself that I wasn't hurting anyone. I told myself that everyone gets angry. I allowed myself to believe these lies.

For reference, I scored a 22 on the anger quiz on this site.

On Friday, I am going into work and requesting EAP. While I know that this is a first step in a long road, I want to do as much as possible. I may not be able to save my marriage at this point, though I still hold out hope, but I don't want to hurt anyone else.

I guess in a way, I'm looking for words of wisdom from those that have been where I am. Silly as it may sound, I kinda of just want to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for reading this rambling post.

aight hey bro i got somethin for yah like ok i myself have blazing anger issues i swear it on my life like i can blow up any time i feel like it... but then i think i thought of a way too ... "get rid of your anger" try this for meh k?

Find your way to convert your anger into good...

use it as your fuel in life and it will work... it may sound stupid but it works and its how i can shut my blaze off when it clicks...

say your wife gets you pissed off ... go outside and lift weights or punch a punching bag...fly something at a wall just don't hurt her or anyone ... hope this helped a little i mean its the most i know bro ...

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Revenant,

It is good that you are going to your EAP. There is lots of help out there for anger issues. I want to add that it is important that you refrain from drinking alcohol because that is likely to worsen your anger. I am sure that you suddenly erupt into anger. However, most of us experience some type of warning signal about anger. If you could learn what your signal is then you might be able to prevent yourself from erupting by counting to ten, or leaving the room, or calling for a time out. Anyway, I again want to fully support your going to the EAP for help. By the way, it will be better for your long range health for learn to not explode into anger.

Allan :)