Mental Support Community

am I depressed?

sam33

there are times when I feel very down, I cry a lot, I lose energy and appetite, recently I've been becoming more forgetful, and I have headaches. This usually happens after a fight with my husband. however my husband says that it's not depression, depression is when you are constantly sad, you do not come out of your house, and you can't function. I can still function, so I am not depressed.

I also have panic attacks. but are these related? I really don't know what to do. If I'm not sick, there is no need to go to a hospital, right? So what should I do?

however my husband says that it's not depression, depression is when you are constantly sad, you do not come out of your house, and you can't function. I can still function, so I am not depressed.

I also have panic attacks. but are these related? I really don't know what to do.

Your husband's wrong. What he's describing is certainly depression, but it's not the only form depression takes. I can tell you from personal and observed experience that many depressed people are experts at "functioning" -- we do our damnedest to keep bulling through the sadness, loss of energy, and all the other symptoms, and frequently it's not until things are really bad that it becomes evident to other people just how difficult living has become.

The symptoms you've described suggest depression to me. Panic attacks and anxiety also often come along with depression, and vice-versa -- panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder are diagnoses in their own right, but they very often go hand in hand with depression.

Unless you're considering taking your own life or harming someone else, or otherwise feel like you're in major crisis, going to the hospital wouldn't be my first step. Instead, I would make an appointment with your doctor, and he or she should be able to offer some suggestions and referrals that can help get you on track. S/he will also be able to check for other things that can cause your symptoms, like thyroid issues or vitamin deficiencies.

Good luck, Sam -- I'm pulling for you!

What crowyhead said is accurate. Way to go crowyhead!, and good luck and much courage and perseverence, sam33. It takes a lot of energy and courage (and some money or insurance) and time to get help, but reasonable help is available if you seek it. :)