Mental Support Community

Cbt

nightfalls

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the inspiring and informative note! That is exactly what I loved about the book by Sam Obitz, that he detailed his struggles with anxiety and depression all the way through finding success with CBT. But now I feel dumb because I did not realize that David Burns also suffered from anxiety disorders. Thanks for sharing. I too think to fully get to the heart of the problem it helps to have gone through the problem yourself as both Obitz and Burns felt like they were talking to me rather than at me.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi forgeting,

I think it's a good thing that you are going to these groups to learn how to cope better. Please try to remember that all of us think about these things whether we try to or not. The problem is not that we think, The problem is how we think or what thoughts we think. Try to keep your thought positive and turn your thoughts away from self criticism or such negative things as: "I should have," or "why didn't I," or other such unhelpful things. It take practice but you will feel better if you work on keeping your thoughts more postive.

Allan:)

This sort of thing is an exploration, and sometimes we stumble onto things that help us when we aren't expecting to find them. So that is good that you are relating to the social anxiety stuff. the same CBT principles that you have learned about apply to that realm too.

But there are other things you can do including role playing to act out your worst feared situations with other people. role playing helps people to break through their fears and thus makes it easier for them to not avoid doing the things they are afraid of.

Anyway, relating to the stuff in the group is great, as is your hard work to better yourself. I think it is just great what you've been doing to help yourself.

• 7 months later...

Hi Cynthia

Sorry for the confusion, I mostly just read now because I felt my partner was reading my posts and I was trying to reach out but can't if I know it really is not privite.

I do really feel bad for this but it was for the best, please understand, I want to ask questions but some topic's needed to be erased. Sorry:(

My goal is to create conversations that people can find and follow (in the search engines) long after the leading edge of the conversation is over. The things people talk about here are widely experienced problems and my belief is that someone finding this months or years from now may be comforted to know that they were not the only person to feel a particular way. Nevertheless, so far as individuals are concerned, they are able to delete or edit their own posts. I don't particularly like when that happens, but I respect that if people feel the need to do that, then that is what they need to do.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Cynthia

Sorry for the confusion, I mostly just read now because I felt my partner was reading my posts and I was trying to reach out but can't if I know it really is not privite.

I do really feel bad for this but it was for the best, please understand, I want to ask questions but some topic's needed to be erased. Sorry:(

I completely understand Nightfalls and thank you very much for taking the time to reply and explain. Best wishes for you and your partner!

My goal is to create conversations that people can find and follow (in the search engines) long after the leading edge of the conversation is over. The things people talk about here are widely experienced problems and my belief is that someone finding this months or years from now may be comforted to know that they were not the only person to feel a particular way. Nevertheless, so far as individuals are concerned, they are able to delete or edit their own posts. I don't particularly like when that happens, but I respect that if people feel the need to do that, then that is what they need to do.

What a noble goal Mark! Keep up the good work:D

• 1 year later...