Mental Support Community

insomnia

nancyannee

has set in and sleep is impossible. My mind is racing so badly that it is hard to sit still. The only thing that helps is if I read. Luckily, I have a book that is interesting. I have to be up in less than 2 hours...I might as well stay up all night or my youngest will miss the bus. *sigh*

it is an ugly cycle...

sleepless nights + worrisome days = psycho nancy:confused:

Hi nancyannee,

I don't know how I got to this forum cuz I am not bipolar, but I guess the "insomnia" title caught my attention. Most nights I have maybe 3-4 hours of interrupted sleep, a luxury in itself! I don't know how long this has been going on but because I can't sleep, I'm up browsing the internet or listening to talk radio. This in turn keeps me awake. If I didn't do these things, then I would lie awake thinking of things that I don't want to think about; things that keep me from falling asleep. A vicious cycle to say the least. And, if that wasn't bad enough, at least once or twice a month, I totally don't sleep all night. Trying only makes it harder. I can't take anything for this because even herbal pills will make me not hear my alarm, then I'm late for work! It's funny though, even through all this, I rarely am sleepy at work. I guess work distracts me a lot; no time to think bad thoughts or fall asleep. I guess that's a good thing. I do tend to fall asleep in front of the t.v. but that usually lasts for only 15 minutes or so, sometimes as much as 20-30 minutes--just enough to miss the ending of the show I was watching. This catnap then keeps me awake until the wee hours of the a.m. until I have to force myself to sleep, which most times I eventually do--2 hours or less before the alarm goes off! What to do, what to do! This insomnia crept up on me when I wasn't paying attention. My norm was 5-6 hours and I would be fine. All I know is that I don't want to tell my dr. for fear she will give me pills. My alternative? Anybody got some really boring books you can recommend? Take care and get some sleep if you can!!

Edited by karai