Mental Support Community

sound distortions

nancyannee

The last few days, sounds around me seem distorted. My depth perception is off too. sounds coming from behind me sound like they are in front of me. sounds far away seem close up. and to top it off, when I am listening to someone talk or even listening to the television, the words sometimes don't make sense. When I am talking, the words I am wanting to say come out sounding wrong. That has been happening for a while. My husband and girls laugh it off. (believe me it is not funny) but these new things have started and it is freaking me out...

My eating habits have not changed. I could eat a little less, but for the most part I get plenty of vitamins and stuff. I have cut back on the caffeine and sugar, but I have been doing that for awhile already. Is this just another progression of being bipolar and not taking any medication?

I do not know if this is part of being bipolar without medication, but perhaps you should talk about these symptoms with a doctor. As your post describes how sounds seem to be distorted, one suggestion is to ask the doctor to take a look at your ears. I hope you feel better soon!

Hi nancy,

i have had the same problem for quite a while myself! When some people speak to me ,its like i can't quite hear them properly, very muffled if that makes any sense ! Like they are not speaking load enough,i am forever saying "can you please say that again" i am driving my husband and eldest son mad!!!! It seems to be the lower tones that i have a problem with, it can be a side effect of some medications! I've always thought that was why i was haveing trouble anyway!. In the notes for my meds it says it can cause this kind of problem.

I'm probably not much help but are there any meds your on that can cause sensory problems??

Hugs, tracey.

thanks kaudio and tracey for your responses.

currently I am on NO medications for bipolar. I have no doctor and really don't know how to talk to one. which is the main reason I am here. trying to find the courage to talk to someone about all my issues...my family is getting frustrated with me, yet they offer NO encouragement to seek help. all they can think of is me having to be gone for a while. the last time I sought out help I was put inpatient for a week. I am sure if I go again I will be admitted. they would rather I suffer a lifetime than they suffer a few days without me to be there to do everything for them...

I am resigning myself to going to the ER alone. If i set my mind to it....i can do it...I just hate facing strangers and telling them I am in need of psychiatric treatment...

Hi all

Yes this is because you are not taking your medication because you are Bipolar. As you are aware I am bipolar and I too tried this at one stage and went mad. lost it completely. ended up being hospitalised, yet once again!

Nancy, there is no way you are going to cope without any medication if you have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Just a no can do I'm afraid! It's no good fighting it, because it will be you that suffers in the end. You and your family!