Mental Support Community

Please help. How do you go about getting help?

skyblue

I've never had any kind of therapy or know anyone who has ever been received it. I think I need it myself but I don't know the difference between a therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, etc or which I would need. How does one go about getting help? In the last 6 months I've started having terrible flashbacks of something that happened to me as a child. Something I thought I had buried long ago. Other than telling my parents about it that day, it was never spoke of again I thought I had it good and buried. Six months ago something happened to bring it back to mind and I can't bury it again. Please tell me how to go about getting some sort of help.

Thank you

Hi skyblue

First I'd like to say sorry to hear that you are having flashbacks of a past issue it must be hard to have this happening to you but it is good that you are going to get help with it ASAP and not let it get worse.

From what I know you could first go to your MD and get a referal to a phyciatrist DR. that can diagnose you and give medication if needed, or get refered to a psychologist DR. who can give therapy, a therapist and a counsler I belive do basically the same and give therapy. I belive you could find one that gives special attention to exactly what you are dealing with if mabe (Ptsd) I personally out of who I've seen found the psychologist the most helpful. I find that the phyciatrist did not help much with dealing with my issues he just gave a medication recomondation I was in and out. I also found a Therapist who was good but not long enough to really get it all out I had only 6 appt. that was covered by insurance. Which by the way could also affect I think who you can see depending on your insurance and where you live? I basically had to just pay the psychologist cash and see him long enough so he could understand and send letter to my MD to get me a referral to CBT so I could finally get some help. I did not have enough $ to continue with that Dr unfortunatly but in my opinion he understood exactly what I was explaining and I felt that he helped in the time I was there. I think any of the people you mentioned would be able to help you but I think the best spot to start is with your regular MD. Hope you are able to get help quickly.:) take care.

I've never had any kind of therapy or know anyone who has ever been received it. I think I need it myself but I don't know the difference between a therapist, psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, etc or which I would need. How does one go about getting help? In the last 6 months I've started having terrible flashbacks of something that happened to me as a child. Something I thought I had buried long ago. Other than telling my parents about it that day, it was never spoke of again I thought I had it good and buried. Six months ago something happened to bring it back to mind and I can't bury it again. Please tell me how to go about getting some sort of help.

Thank you

Hi Skyblue-

I wrote an article explaining the differences between the different types of therapists that may help some. Here's the link: http://www.mentalhelp.net/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=12865&cn=91

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried online therapy? Again, I've never had any kind of therapy. Because of disability I can't drive so my parents would have to take me to the visits. I don't really want them knowing about it for a couple reasons. One it would be quite uncomfortable in the car before and after and Two, they would know why and I'm sure it would hurt them. I don't want them to have to go through that. I've heard of online therapy. I know insurance wouldn't pay for it but that would be something I would have to deal with. Suggestions?

Hi skyblue,

While online therapy would certainly be convenient, there is no substitute for face to face human interaction IMO.

If I were a therapist, I would feel very hampered by being unable to see & hear the client to assess him/her accurately.

I know it's tough, but you could reap some wonderful rewards from risking in person therapy.

Good luck.

Carol

Has anyone tried online therapy? Again, I've never had any kind of therapy. Because of disability I can't drive so my parents would have to take me to the visits. I don't really want them knowing about it for a couple reasons. One it would be quite uncomfortable in the car before and after and Two, they would know why and I'm sure it would hurt them. I don't want them to have to go through that. I've heard of online therapy. I know insurance wouldn't pay for it but that would be something I would have to deal with. Suggestions?

I've never heard of online therapy. I've heard of people who like to take it upon themselves to play therapist. But this does more damage then good...being "diagnosed" by uneducated/unlicensed people who mean well.

We need online therapy. Or we need people who make house-calls.

I came right to your topic because of it's title. I've been looking for help for over 4+ years. I come from a very dysfunctional family. They say sticks & stones but I think words do more damage then a beating any day. So I would be abused by my dad, step-dad, an older brother, & almost every man I've had since.

I had a daughter & for the first 10 years she was sickly & left to rot that way because we were poor & on Medicare. I lost babysitter after babysitter therefore job after job & there was no love/help/support/back-up from family...except my mom. Otherwise family made fun of me for being poor, in public housing, & on food stamps/Medicaid.

When she was 10 I finally got my kid well but by then it was my turn...I became sick. Doctors won't fix me. They want to treat me like a piece of meat...play games with my life. So I was still losing job after job usually before insurance kicked in if they even offered it. Family thinks this is all excuses to remain stupid/lazy/worthless.

Next thing you know my mom got sick & she was dead within a month's time of lung cancer. During that month it was the same old same old. I was accused of taking things from my mom's house & threatened with prison the night before her funeral. It's just amazing what my own family has done to me.

I was already diagnosed with severe depression, stress & anxiety. I was already technically disabled then this happened. Now I'm in shock & post traumatic stress syndrome...to say the least. I disowned most of my whole family. I moved off looking for help to be lied to, used, ripped off, kicked out & left homeless, sexually harassed, raped, sexually assaulted, stalked & also cyber-stalked. Most of this yet again out of family/friends or the people they hooked me up with.

So I'm done with family & friends. I turned to gov't & state "help" agencies & orgs. The proof is in my signature. I went to an agency & found a pamphlet titled "where to go for help" & that's what was on it. That plus I've added to it. And most if not all of that is a total joke. I've even been told "there is no help for people like you". I've come to believe it.

The fact is we need a help agency to help protect us with the other help agencies. My basic human rights are violated about everywhere I go. I'm blown off by my apartment complex, THA, OHFA, HUD. I'm blown off by doctors & nurses. I'm treated like a piece of meat or a guinea pig. I'm treated like I'm just "crazy". Now I'm being evicted for complaining about my basic human rights being violated. Who do you call?