Mental Support Community

Anxiety Disorder

Chet Ripley

Hello forum,

I am a first time poster. Th reason for my post is that I'm in a relationship with a wonderful Woman that has hit a stumbling block. We just started dating in April and everything was going great. Last weekend I noticed she was being a little distant so I started to worry we were over. She assured me we were ok and I felt relief. The next day she said she said she had issues with my insecurities, I told her they had passed and it seemed we were still ok. The next day she called me around 6 and before we hung up, she said"I'll call you in a couple of hours" It got to be 12:30 and she hadn't called or answered her phone and I started to worry. I called the local hospitals and she was not there. She called shortly after I checked the hospitals and said she had fell asleep. I told her of my concern and she assured me if somrthing had happened her parents would have called. I got a call the next day informing me she needed us to take a step back as she was under too much stress that wortying about me worrying about her was just too much right now.

I think I have adult seperation anxiety disorder and it is affecting my relationship. What can I do to fix this problem?

there isn't any formal diagnosis for adult separation anxiety disorder, but maybe there shoudl be :cool: that language is as good a way to describe the fear of being left by a lover as any.

Seriously, don't pathologize this more than you need to. Being in love with someone where it seems that she is not as into you as you are into her is just part of normal life. It isn't fun, and it is a life problem but it isn't a disorder.

Some practical advice: You will not hold onto a relationship with a woman by demonstrating your dependency on that relationship. When you act dependent on a woman, she is less likely to want to continue with you. This is a generalization, but one that is true from my limited experience. People tend to want what is in short supply, I guess. Exactly how to make yourself in shorter supply I cannot say, as it is very situation sensitive and neither is it a good idea to disappear at a critical time, but definitly displaying your insecurities isn't typically a good idea