Mental Support Community

Mental Health For People With Down Syndrome

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

I haven't seen this issue mentioned, mental health for people with Down syndrome, but I know that I searched high and low for years for information regarding mental wellness and people with developmental disabilities. Recently, a book came out "Mental Wellness in Adults with Down Syndrome". This is an excellent book and probably a good resource for people with other developmental disabilities. People like my son really create a puzzle when it comes to mental health because often they have limited communication skills. My son is 23 years old and you would just never believe the advances made over the years since his birth.

Gingersnap....

I worked for years in the disabilities field and a large part of my work at the time was as a counselor for people with cognitive disabilities. You are right....not much out there but creativity, thinking "outside the box" and, truth be told, A LOT of the techniques I used for counseling people without disabilites could be adapted to work with people with disabilities. Not every method of counseling works for every person in general and this population is no different. Sometimes you have to work to find the right method that will help.