Mental Support Community

Really, Television Addiction

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

For years my husband clung to the television and it had to be on and I have known so many people who keep the television on because they like the "noise" which, frankly, I thought was suspicious because looking at nature itself, noise isn't something natural and usually causes stress. In April, we cut off the cable after I saw some really weird and disturbing shows and my husband agreed although now, he admits that he thought we would constantly be watching DVD's, well, they are a lot harder to get in and on over just switching on the power and I like quiet or maybe some music. So, he went through withdrawal and if you don't think it is real, try it. Now, he says that after 5 months, he wouldn't want to go back to having the tv on all the time because he doesn't want to feel that withdrawal again and that still sometimes he feels like he "needs" it. We discussed watching movies and I enjoy watching a movie now and then and I asked him, "Do you actually enjoy the movies?" and he said "No, not all the time just having it on." I looked up television addiction on the internet and it said that habitual watching over a period of time for some people (I am thinking addictive personality types) causes a lack of motivation and feelings of listlessness, depression and anger. They do say that this is "disputed" :confused:but no one at our house will dispute it. I always encouraged my children to do other things rather than having their noses stuck on the tv, things like crafts and creative play and, of course, I have encouraged my husband to do the same and he has started working on some different crafts and takes pride in the items that he hangs and displays in our home - not much darn pride you can have watching tv. Also, think computer and video game addiction. A way to medicate one and shut out the real world. OK, I don't understand an addictive personality because I "must" be in control of myself and an addiction to the computer, television or video games would require me to sit still for longer than I could at one time.:( So, what about television addiction? Fact or Fiction?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Gingersnap,

I agree with JR and know that many people seem to need to have the TV on as noise in the background. There can be many reasons for this need, including attempting to fill inner feelings of emptiness or depression, or, to have TV as a distraction from some inner turmoil, pehaps anxiety, or something else. There are plenty of factors that motivate some people to watch TV. In fact, I just now thought of another one: ADHD: When reading is a challenge because of difficulty with concentration due to AHDH, the TV becomes a natural and easy type of diversion. However, I have no way of knowing what motivates you husband to want to watch so much TV.

As to the concept of "addictive personality," that has been rejected as a diagnostic category. People can and do become addicted to many things, as JR correctly points out, but, there is no single personality type that predicts the addiction.

I happen to agree that it is better for the kids to have the TV turned off so that they can play together, read, in fact, reading is very important.

Allan

Guest GingerSnap

John: You actually make a good point and it isn't that far off the topic if at all. I think that electronics have a medicating effect that reading would never have and I am not sure why because both would be sort of an escape from one's day or surroundings. Have you ever noticed though how interesting people are that read books? And cultural, well, I have had friends from Korea and they so honor their heritage - if only I could "convert". Just seems anymore that American life is so void of any substance, a holiday is day to shop the sales or sleep or God forbid watch television, play video games or spend the day at the computer. And history and learning lessons from that? Electronics is mind numbing so out to the garden!

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought i'd contribute to this talk about video games. I agree that video games is an escape from reality. Honestly, if i had kids i would try to steer them towards books. My dad is a great father, but he got me addicted to video games. Even though i played outside and did other things, neither of my parents thought anything of my video game addiction. I don't need to play video games anymore, but i remember being younger and needing to play. I got angry whenever i stopped playing, and video games were usually the highlight of my day. They are really something you have to monitor, because in television and books you are observing what is going on. Video games put you into the story and let you interact with it, which can be a lot more addicting as you can imagine.