Mental Support Community

Triggers

KatieDid

I didn't know anything about PTSD for 30 years that I've been living with it. I knew certain things made me uncomfortable and I avoided them, but I didn't think that was particular.

One thing that really sets me off is mainstream music from the 70's. My mother was a free living hippie and was into sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Now that I am out of that situation, the music still pops out of nowhere and takes me right back.

The logical side of my brain says that it's just bad memories attached to the music and it's as simple as making new, more pleasant memories. The other part of my brain says 'Hell No, get away with that stuff."

I always thought it was just the music, but the other day we were talking about how ice cream is different now then it was 30 years ago. I'm not a big ice cream fan (because I'm hypersensitive to cold and ice cream makes me very cold.) so I didn't have much to add. Then someone said the name of a company I thought had gone out of business and the just the word gave me the same feelings as the music does.

I don't know why, I have no memories of ever going to that place.

It's very confusing and a little scary.