Mental Support Community

Possibly Controversial...?...idk.

LostSouls

First off let me say i know most of you on here and other places in general and professionals say to never self-diagnose yourself but i gotta say "me, personally" i kinda disagree which i have a little more knowledge of psychology than most ppl well you everday average person, that could be the reason for my opinion on this subject, but ive also read not only here but other places about how you goto a professional and are being misdiagnosed i think and pretty much believe the only person who can tell you and know what is wrong with you is you, and another one reason for that is that people misunderstand alotta things people say and do in life, and if you dont neccessarily explain it correctly it could be misunderstood, so what i personally would suggested and not suggest if that makes sense to you is do your own research on what you think is wrong with you and why you think that is what your problem is and then see a professional and tell them what you think you have wrong with you and why you think so, and get their opinion on it...and/or if for whatever reason you dont want too ect. and you go see a professional and they tell you this is whats wrong with you and you dont really believe it is then do your homework on all of it and go back too em and let em know why you disagree and why you feel the way you do you know....does anyone agree?.....disagree?....or maybe im misunderstanding alot of you on the subject.

LostSouls

I agree, that is quite controversial. Myself, I think we can come to some conclusion about what is wrong with us but I still think it's necessary to have the input of a qualified person.

I think you'll find today that more and more lay-people are interested in psychology. It's our physiological make up that determines how we deal with things in our life. And our physiological make up can always be improved on - we can always become stronger more aware and informed.

The symptoms of many illnesses, especially mental illnesses overlapped somewhat so it's no surprise that people can be misdiagnosed. It's our patience and our perseverance that gets us there in the end.

I strongly believe that, no matter what we believe we are dealing with, having it confirmed by a qualified person makes all the difference in the world.

I agree with doing your own research. This is what I did and this is why, although not an expert in anything but my own life, I feel capable of understanding and helping others understand some of what they are dealing with. I did a lot of research over the years. Even when diagnosed correctly some research is a must.

I also agree that there is nothing wrong with asking your doctor about something you read on the net, since part of his job is to reassure you why wouldn't he take time to talk it over with you.

yea i agree i guess in a way thats what i was really trying to get across to people, you could say to just get more informed, about what it is they think aswell as have been told whats wrong with them, ima firm believer in the quote ...."the more you know" and live my life by it.

Archived