Mental Support Community

There Is A Difference - Fetish & Preference

Guest GingerSnap

Guest GingerSnap

There is a difference between a fetish and a preference. From what I have read, a preference is simply that, you prefer something in particular but it is not central to what you are doing, not all consuming, something you cannot do with out - need while a fetish, is just that and appeared to tie into addictive behavior which is, my best guess, the reason that the the "experience" needs to grow in order to get the same "high" over time. I believe there is a good article on sexual fetishes on the main page if you do a search. Figure it is like ice cream, while I prefer chocolate syrup on my vanilla ice cream - I will still eat the vanilla ice cream and be happy to have it and when it preference gets bizarre (need), I will throw a fit and become unruly just because I don't have the chocolate syrup so I want nothing at all. (Ice cream is a good example because we are cutting back on sugar so it is the first thing to go! Think ice cream isn't as much of a need as sex? I live some place where a high percentage of the population are overweight and I wouldn't get between them and their ice cream!)

• 2 weeks later...
There is a difference between a fetish and a preference. From what I have read, a preference is simply that, you prefer something in particular but it is not central to what you are doing, not all consuming, something you cannot do with out - need while a fetish, is just that and appeared to tie into addictive behavior which is, my best guess, the reason that the the "experience" needs to grow in order to get the same "high" over time. I believe there is a good article on sexual fetishes on the main page if you do a search. Figure it is like ice cream, while I prefer chocolate syrup on my vanilla ice cream - I will still eat the vanilla ice cream and be happy to have it and when it preference gets bizarre (need), I will throw a fit and become unruly just because I don't have the chocolate syrup so I want nothing at all. (Ice cream is a good example because we are cutting back on sugar so it is the first thing to go! Think ice cream isn't as much of a need as sex? I live some place where a high percentage of the population are overweight and I wouldn't get between them and their ice cream!)

people are sloppy with their use of words, terms expressions etc. Homosexuality is a good example, people speak of a persons sexual "preference" as if they...the gay person...see it as totally optional. They do NOT see it as a mere preference, but the ice-cream itself imo.

While it is true that everything we do is a choice according to the book "Choice Therapy", The fact remains that those choices made so far back in childhood that we don't remember making them are difficult to change....almost impossible.

Archived