Mental Support Community

Changing mentality

Ob1one

I'm having a lot of trouble with wait loss and getting myself to exercise. I'm having trouble because I want to be healthy but I don't want to do the work.

I've tried to have people just get me to exercise and I figured out through that its all on me.

I'm Having trouble mainly because I can't get into the mindset of wanting to do it so what I want to ask is how do I get myself to the mindset of wanting to exercise and eat well.

________

Coach Handbags

Edited by Ob1one

Hi

The first thing that I would recommend is to have a long look at yourself in the mirror. Do you like what you see? No! Then do something about it. Before you can Diet & exercise, you've got to set your mind in that mode.

You've got to want to lose weight and tone your muscles. You've got to want to change your eating habit's and exercise because it's what you want. Not what anyone else wants. It's pointless losing weight because other people want you to. You've got to do it because of you.

I would recommend taking one step at a time, then it shouldn't be so difficult.

First: Weigh yourself. Set yourself a goal weight that you can aim for, or look up, and find out what your ideal weight should be for your height and build.

Second: Measure your waist, hips, chest, upper arms, and thighs.

Thirdly: Mark all your measurements in a book or piece of paper, with your weight. you will refere back to this on a weekly basis, keeping a record of your progress.

Fourthly: Get your self an exercise book. You will call this book a food diary. The intension's of this book is to write down, every thing you eat & drink, on a daily basis. Adding the time that you ate/drank anything on that day.

The first week, what I did was: Measure, weigh myself and recorded. I never dietied that first week. I wanted to see my eating/drinking pattern. What I ate at certain times of the day & drank, then I could look back at and try and amend. E.g: If I was having 2x jam on toast for my breakfast, then I would substitute for a bowl of cereal with skimmed milk & candarel sugar.

By only doing this on my second week, I was amazed that I had lost 6lb in weight! That was still eating like before, but swapping my breakfast habit.

The third week, I looked at what I was eating, and at what time of the day. So I tried to cut down on eating after 10pm. I found this a bit hard as I suffer from Insomnia and am on med's for it.

It took about five days for my body to get used to not eating after 10pm. The amount of times that I felt like giving up, because I felt so hungry and knew I couldn't eat after that time. Yet again, I lost a further 6lb, making a total of 12lb weight loss over a two week period. I was buzzing!

On my fourth week, I looked at the different ways of cooking food. E.g: Instead of having fried chips, I would make oven chips. I would substitute my drinks for low calorie/low sugar etc. I have not been weighed yet, so I cannot inform you of my weight loss.

Give it a go and tell me what you think? You don't have to go it alone. You can do like me and follow a weight management diet. I attend my G.P's every week and a Dietitian weighs me and keeps a record.

Regarding the exercises. At first, just pace yourself. Do a bit more walking than you normally would. Instead of having Transport to take you anywhere, try walking. You'd be surprised at how soon you would get used to walking. Not only that, It's more healthy for you too.

I hope this information has helped. Take care.

Paula.:rolleyes:

I can appreciate how hard it is to get into the habit of exercising from personal experience. When I've had success in my life it has been from focusing my energy into a form of exercise that I liked doing. For me that has been Yoga, which while quite capable of kicking your ass from a physical point of view, is more mellow and less competitive than some other exercise forms, and has more of a social element (at least in some classes). I think that is the key - finding something that makes you feel good rather than just something that you have to do.

I tried diets for years and the never worked. I started getting out and pushing my self and mowing the grass, weedeating, picking weeds and sitting back and looking at everything I did and how great it looked. I slowly started changing my eating habits but to this day I do not deprive myself when I want something. It has taken 3 years, but I have lost 70 lb. I still have about 30 pound to go, but that is ok, I didn't put it all on over night and It's not going to come off over night. Just take one day at a time, and be proud of yourself when you hit a mildstone. Good luck.......;)