Mental Support Community

Social Worker or MD?

Newmommy

I started therapy 2 weeks ago with a social worker. Should I see an MD instead? I am tired of feeling like the only way to get rid of my anxiety and blues is to just run away and get rid of all the people in my life except my baby. Nothing makes me happy. I dwell in my own thoughts to the point I hate myself. I want this to go away and now I doubt I am getting the best therapy offered.

How about seeing both???

Evidence points to the best outcomes are from both therapy and medication. Meds alone don't fix it but can make it more managable while you are seeing your therapist to address your thoughts and behaviors.

What do you think???

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Newmommy,

To answer your question about social workers vs. psychiatrists, I am sad to say that psychiatrist today are trained to give medications rather than do psychotherapy. You are best off seeing a good social worker or clinical psychologist. Either one is good.

Allan:)

I agree with everyone here as you both made good points.

If you don't want to take meds I would encourage you to join a CBT group. In it you will be taught the skills you need to cope and eliminate most anxiety and depression. It has given me my life back and I still spend a few minutes each day countering my thoughts in the TEA forms I learned in my group and have continued to make strides since my treatment ended. The CBT book titled Been There, Done that? DO This! by Sam Obitz and Michelle Craske is a really short and easy intro into CBT and outlines the TEA form exercise in it.

The nicest thing about CBT it teaches you how to change the way you look at things so you don't have to "get rid of" or "run away from" the people in your life to be happy:D

• 1 month later...

Hey Newmommy,

I started with a therapist for talking, then after a couple years added on a psychiatrist for meds. So now I have both -- I'm lucky with my insurance and medical options that way. The funny thing about seeing the psychiatrist was she asked me all these questions (to determine my mood state, I guess), but then if I answered too much then she's stop me and say she wasn't my therapist -- but then she'd keep asking me questions! :) (I understand, it was fine -- but it was funny too!)

If you don't want to try meds, certainly try everything else on top of the therapist -- like CBT group like tmays says, and also just eating better and exercising (my psychiatrist recommended this book "Optimum Nutrition for the Mind" but I haven't read it yet). There is apparently a big connection between your blood sugar (i.e. too many high-GI foods like sugar, white flour, etc.) and your mood -- I never knew!

I wish you the best!

I started therapy 2 weeks ago with a social worker. Should I see an MD instead? I am tired of feeling like the only way to get rid of my anxiety and blues is to just run away and get rid of all the people in my life except my baby. Nothing makes me happy. I dwell in my own thoughts to the point I hate myself. I want this to go away and now I doubt I am getting the best therapy offered.

In my experience, social workers have been no help at all. Neither has talk therapy, but YMMV. My primary care physician was the most helpful to me in dealing with depression. I went to a psychiatrist afterward, but he just said what my doctor prescribed was the appropriate treatment.

The other things that have helped somewhat are exercise (walking daily if possible) and meditation (There are several free audio meditation tapes available on the Web; some can be downloaded.) You don't strictly need a tape, but it's a helpful guidance.

Best wishes,

Jim

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Everyone,

Please realize that people are different (duh...:) ) and reacts differently to different types of psychotherapy. If you are someone who does not like "Talk Therapy," you can get help with other types of therapy such as, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, EMDR, etc. You need to find the therapists who are trained in and practice these therapies. They can be social workers or clinical psychologists. Psychiatrists use medication and no longer do psychotherapy, mostly.

It is also important to find someone with a good reputation for being skilled and helpful.

Allan:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived