Mental Support Community

codeine addiction

Hi there

I am addicted to codeine and have tried so many times to stop. Rather than achieving some success I just experience more failure. I have now decided to go and see a psychologist this afternoon because in addition to the addiction I am also depressed. It just seems like a vicious circle. I need to talk to someone badly and have decided to try the dr.

anyone else had success coming off codeine?

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Snoeps,

It is very difficult to get off of codeine without help. Its good you are seeing a psychologist for this. I hope he can show you the way to recover from this. Also, I am relatively certain that your depression might be caused by or worsened by the codeine.

Please let us know what happens.

By the way, an MD could probably help you withdraw from codeine. You probably need to do it very gradually.

Allan:(

Depression is listed as a side-effect of codeine, so it's a possibility. I agree with Allan that it is probably best to withdraw slowly. A psychologist is the way to go, so good luck with that. Maybe see if s/he can refer you to an MD for the physical aspects?

thanks for the replies. I had a good session. seeing him again on Thursday and need to have a written plan. we will then discuss this and work together on a schedule with him supervising. He also suggested that I inform my GP.

I am nervous but I really trust this Dr. Have been to him a couple years earlier for grief counseling only one session. this is actually the first time that I really am working with a psychologist.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Snoeps,

That sounds really good and you can beat this thing with his help. Just go gradually and you and he will do it.

Allan:)

Hi Went back to the dr yesterday and had a very good session. I am starting tapering today. 2 tablets a week and hope to finish off within 4 weeks. we actually talked about a lot of other things and he is very motivating. A very gentle person, but also not being fooled. In his gentle way he put the ball right back in my court!!!! Like so what do I intend doing to keep to my tapering etc. We are also working on the other issues because I did not just start taking these pills. We are working holistically on the whole issue. Costing quite a penny though, but I do believe that you pay for something you will put more effort into it.

Just wanted to bring you up to date. Spare me a thought in the next couple of weeks.

luv Snoeps.

ps I am taking 8 pills a day. this week have to cut down to 6.

Hello, Snoeps. Glad to see that you have made a good start. I know some people who were way higher than codeine than 8 of any standard type of tablets a day. Bad for the liver; bad for the head; bad generally; well worth getting a handle on. But a difficult one, I know.

A big part of the difficulty, as I understand it, is that it takes a long time to get the stuff, physically, out of your system; as long as it is there, it is difficult to begin to shed the influence of the substance over your thinking. With alcohol, most people who detox/are detoxed should be free of the substance - at least in its primary form in 2-3 days at most. That is only the end of the beginning - but it does give you some clarity of thought, unclouded by the presence of the addictive substance itself, that you can build on. Codeine, however, has a much longer "half-life" in the body - I have been told that a month, rather than a few days, would be more like the minimum time it would take to be rid of it, so that traditional "cold turkey" approaches are likely to be very stressful, potentially dangerous, and very difficult to carry through to a successful conclusion. Some sort of "weaning off" is really necessary. I am glad that you have sought advice, and are embarked on such an approach.

Do not be discouraged if the process takes a little time; this seems to be unavoidable with codeine. I am sure that your investment of time and money will be well worth your while, in the long run.

With best wishes and regards,

Hi there

thanks for the replies. I am seeing the dr on Thursday again and another cut on Friday. I realise this is not going to be easy, but I have to start somewhere. This is a bit of a lonely road for me as only one friend knows about me trying to get off the tablets. Only one other friend actually knows that I am taking them so I value this site to be able to talk about it.

thanks again.

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Snoeps,

You are more than welcome for the support.

Just know that you are not alone with this. Addiction to pain pills has become a national epidemic. However, with the help of the Doctors, I have known many people, friends and patients, who were gradually helped to get off of these drugs.

Just be patient with yourself and take your time.

Allan:)

Archived