Mental Support Community

A SERIOUS Question

Anguish

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Anguish -- first of all, I love your quote/signature!

I'm not sure -- I am curious what would be the difference to you between one or the other. For me, I suspect I may be more dysthymic mainly because it's been going on for years and years. In fact, that was one of the reasons it took me so long to seek help -- I read the online self-diagnoses and they were all like "Did you stop finding joy in things that once made you happy?" and I was like, well, I don't know, I don't even remember when the last time I felt "normal" or happy, and I've rarely been happy anyway so... uh... no? :)

In the end I had to spiral down really far before I sought help. Now I've been in therapy for 2 years and things are still tough. The therapist diagnosed me Depression - NOS (not otherwise specified). The difference between dysthymia and MDD may also be why I didn't try meds for so long -- only started several months ago -- because I didn't have too much MDD stuff like crying and not being able to get out of bed -- well, I did, but it was episodic, and I felt sad all the time anyway.

Where do you stand on all this?

Archived