Mental Support Community

schizotypal personality disorder? or something else.

Hellion

Alright I am well aware that there is no way to know for certain if you have a certain problem unless you get a professional diagnosis.....which I have not gotten. But I am rather low on money and sort of afraid to get a professional opinion so I guess I want a little input first.

Anyways all the following symtoms seem to apply to me:

* Odd or eccentric mannerisms or appearance

* Superstitious or preoccupied with paranormal phenomena

* Difficult to follow speech patterns

* Feelings of anxiety in social situations

* Suspiciousness and paranoia

* Odd beliefs or magical thinking

* Appears shy, aloof, or withdrawn to others

and I also read on a few different websites that a lot of people with this disorder also have depression and anxiety which I was diagnosed with in the past. but the depression and anxiety never seemed to explain how uncomfortable I feel around people or how I tend to isolate myself in social situations. Nor did it seem to explain how suspicious I am of others even if they are doing nothing that should cause me to be suspicious. I also get paranoid a lot which really does get annoying it gets worse especially when I am stressed because I will tend to feel like everyone and everything has something against me......or if I am by myself it feels like I'm being watched.

So yeah I feel I should get a professional opinion........but I guess I am posting this because I want to know if by my description it seems likely I have this issue.......or if it seems like I am just overreacting because of concerns I have been having about myself. Also I don't know the right way of approaching the situation. I don't know if I should schedule an appointment and tell them I am concerned I might have this specific personality disorder.....or just explain the symtoms and wait for them to suggest that maybe this is the issue I have.

Sorry if this post does not make sense or is in the wrong section I am probably more confused then anyone who happens to read this.

Do you think it would help or hurt to know whether the diagnosis applied to you? I'm wondering because it seems to me that you are already aware of some symptoms or issues which you are concerned about. If you know those things, then they are some of the things to try to address. In otherwords, you already seem to be able to describe what the issues are. Having a diagnosis might just make it "official" or something? Or is it less of a real problem if it isn't "validated" in some fashion? Because whether it is a diagnosis or not, the problems you've described are still problems.

Do you think it would help or hurt to know whether the diagnosis applied to you? I'm wondering because it seems to me that you are already aware of some symptoms or issues which you are concerned about. If you know those things, then they are some of the things to try to address. In otherwords, you already seem to be able to describe what the issues are. Having a diagnosis might just make it "official" or something? Or is it less of a real problem if it isn't "validated" in some fashion? Because whether it is a diagnosis or not, the problems you've described are still problems.

Well I guess I just want to know for sure.....so I could maybe find out how best to deal with those specific issues. I don't really care about it being validated I mean hell If I can find my own way to deal with it then I would probably do that....but I just have not been able to do that for some reason.

Archived