Mental Support Community

afraid of "other half"

jtatt

my "other half" whom i don't even trust anymore, keeps threatening to call the police (or worse) on me if i don't do or act just as she says! I like the nice things i have because of her. i only get 673 in ssi a mo. ... not much to live on. i don't know how to protect myself, especially since i am now a "known" Bi polar and GOD knows what else is wrong w/t me... any advice out there???

JTatt:confused:

my "other half" whom i don't even trust anymore, keeps threatening to call the police (or worse) on me if i don't do or act just as she says! I like the nice things i have because of her. i only get 673 in ssi a mo. ... not much to live on. i don't know how to protect myself, especially since i am now a "known" Bi polar and GOD knows what else is wrong w/t me... any advice out there???

Do you know that parable about the monkey who sticks his hand in the cookie jar and then can't get it out because the neck of the jar is too narrow to accommodate his hand grasping the cookie. He could get his hand out if he wanted to but that would mean letting go of the cookie, so he remains stuck. That sounds like your situation right now. You are suggesting that you are being threatened with being accused of domestic abuse (do I understand that correctly?) if you don't do what this woman wants, but you don't want to leave the situation because it is comfortable. So you have to balance the risks of being so accused against your ability to support yourself on a meager disability payment which will definitely be hard to do.

Only a lawyer would be able to advise you regarding how to handle the threat you are under. However, it does seem to my lay eyes that this is a real threat. I've known of cases where a woman starts a fight and when the police are called in it is the man who gets carried away to county jail. If the police come out to your house, they pretty much have to take someone into custody (so as to cover their asses should there be some worse violence later on if they were not to separate the parties. So it may not be enough for you to simply never under any circumstances not hit this woman - they may just take you because as a man you are the presumed aggressor.

My sense is that this is a dangerous situation and that you would be best served by leaving the relationship and the cohabitation.