Mental Support Community

Going to Sleep

Pakhawaj

I frequently stay up for days on end because I don't want to go to bed, I don't like the idea of having nothing to distract me from my thoughts. I don't like waking up realising that I spend my days doing absolutely nothing.

I've just realised I've been awake for almost four days and that I'm quite tired but I don't want to bear the seconds of clear thoughts I may have. I'd quite like to go to sleep soon.

Thank you for your wishes. Sometimes I find that staying awake is a problem but going to sleep is always a problem for me. I'm anxious that I am awake for my appointment tomorrow, ordinarily I'd be more apathetic I think. I'm not having any difficulty blocking out my thoughts as I have the radio on.

I'm at that point in drowsiness where one becomes quite paranoid, so I am glad you replied.

I too have always had trouble getting to sleep. I've found that using traditional methods (counting sheep or what have you) just irritates me because it doesn't work "fast enough". So I just let the thoughts run amuck and eventually I fall asleep. It's not the quickest method, but it's the least stressful one. But that's just me, maybe I'm the only one like that :D Music also helps, some reccomendations are Coldplay, Enigma, Infected Mushroom, Joe Satriani, One Republic, Keane. Of course, if you don't like the music it probably won't work, so you'll have to forgive me if you don't like my taste in music. :(

I love all music, it's one of the few things to still put a smirk on my face so I'm sure I'd enjoy those bands, though I've only heard of Coldplay and Joe Satriani. I followed your advice and stuck on The Planets suite, usually this would keep me awake, but I think I was tired enough so that I could both focus on the music and drift off.

This is a really good idea and I'll remember it, thank you.

Archived