Mental Support Community

New Here

olorin

Hi, new here, in Southern California. Looks like there are good people here with helpful support.

Bipolar, Borderline, Anxiety, etc, various dx over the years. On SSDI for years, but working full time at a job I like for the past 2. Just worried about my problems affecting my job, I would like to continue working.

No meds--side effects, especially akathisia are too intense. (Plus weight gain, lethargy, etc.)

So I spend money recklessly, drink too much, space out, daydream about self injury, and....

HI Olorin,

Welcome here! :P

Lots of great people here and wonderful moderaters with great advice hope you will feel comfortable and post lots more about yourself.

It is so great that you have been able to stay working that is really great and I hope you will be able to continue to work without your conditions affecting your job are you in any treatment at this time?

So nice to meet you and take care:)

Hi Olorin and welcome!

You say you suffer borderline Bipolar and Anxiety. BINGO! I suffer Bipolar and Anxiety too.

If say you like your job and want to carry on working, but are afraid of the problems that you are faced with, with suffering borderline Bipolar and Anxiety.

Well..... I can only suggest one thing? Learn how to control your Bipolar! I know it's easy for me to say and I am also struggling to deal with myself. But, you have got to control your moods to keep everyone happy.

There's no such thing in explaining Bipolar and the effects it carries, to an employer because they don't want to know! Believe me I've been there!

You could control your drinking though! That was something that I sorted out at the beginning. Not that I was a heavy drinker anyway. More like a Social drinker. I've not drank for weeks now. My problem was, not only having one for the road. Once I got a taste for it, then there was no stopping me.

I used to be stupid though! I would go out to town and spend some money (a lot of money on garbage) then I would call in a Restaurant and have some dinner with a bottle of wine, but it didn't stop at a bottle, I would have several. Make a fool of myself, thinking I was ten men, then get picked up of the Police and spend the night in the cell's to sober up! In the morning they would let me go with no charges, but no shopping that I had bought previously. Where the hell that went I don't know?

Then it came to the stage that my Psychiatrist said to me that if I didn't curb my drinking then he would have me sectioned! So....... that's what happened!

You are going to have to get a grip, or your going to lose everything you've got. Trust me!

One thing to remember.........

Life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so love the people who treat you right, forget about the one's who don't. Believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance take it, if it changes your life, then let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised it'd be worth it!

Paula

I too am new here.

Paula, I like what you have to say about controling your bi-polar. I know that it's possible because I've been doing it most of my life. But I'm also here because controling bi-polar is a slippery slope, now that I've been diagnosed perhas I with the help from my peers I'll have better chance of staying on top of this.

Surprisingly enough my BP has not had a significant impact on my job, rather it's my social life that has been affected, and occationally spilled over into my job.

What Paula says about not drinking is VERY TRUE! It's like the Red Kryptonite for Superman. It puts your mood sings under a magnifying glass, and stunts your ability to keep your self-control.

Aside from your resolve, your friends are the the most important part of this commitment. All it takes is for them to beg a little, and you to give in, before you slide back down that slope again.

Best of luck to you Orion, I hope that we both find what we're looking for here.