Mental Support Community

i need to take the final step

i was dependant on amphetamines which i used to shoot up for 5 or so years, i was evicted twice, i lost all my possesions. it took me about 3 years to finally get clean and then it was alcohol which i battled with for a few more years. i have reached this point in time where i still drink about once or twice a week. if i go over a certain amount which does still happen, i make bad choices and i am worried about this.

i cannot afford this to happen anymore,last year i relapsed badly for six months, when i go through times like this i find the alcohol is very insidious, creeping back in without my realisation. i am becoming more aware of these times and am able to stop it from going too far.

its like i am scared to make the final descision, i know this is the only answer for me, besides i want to do it for health reasons also. I am very healthy now, i have worked really hard to become healthy, but there is still this blight that obviously needs to be dealt with, i want to stop smoking as well and a few times a week i still smoke a spliff.

my values are important to me but i continue to go against them which causes me pain.

i am very upset because i have wasted my time all these years, i really want to study at uni and am really passionate about learning, i so wish i had felt like this years ago and i would be in such a different place now. I am 38 with not much money, not much education but i am passionate and intelligent.

i would like to do so many things, but i have many problems which have been caused by my lost years, my house is filled with clutter, and lately i have been thinking, if your outer reflects your inner then i must have a lot shoved away in the drawers of my mind. also my garden is really overgrown so my mind is also,

why do i struggle so?

alice:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alice I use 2 b addicted to, speed and alcohol. If I didnt have any speed in the mornings I would not be able to get out of bed in the mornings. Then by the afternooon I would have to have a bottle of vodka by 4pm I would not be able to speak or walk as use to be so out of it. Around 1am I use to have a few joints as I would be starting to come round from the speed and the vodka. This was my life 4 many years no 1 could speak to me about it. I can remember walking into a pub to meet some friends and I was wasted and a few of my mates broke down in tears as I had lost so much weight and they hated seeing me like it. I still didnt change as I was not ready.

I have now stopped it all but a have a different addiction now and that is self harming I cut my legs up.

Really all i want to say is u will not give ur addiction up until u r completly ready to. U will know when ur ready and then u will need all ur friends and some support around u as u will find it very hard and u could relapse.

Hope u can do and I wish u all the best.

Take care

Guest ASchwartz

Hi Alice,

You did not waste your time all of these years. Those were life experiences, even though they were not happy ones. As to why you struggle, I must say, I have always found my life to be a struggle. Its not just you.

I don't think you can make a promise to not drink again or to take the "final step," because I do not believe there is one. You need to live a day at a time and tell yourself, "I didn't drink today." The reason for ending the drinking is that there is a very high likelihood that it will bring about a relapse.

What about starting to think positively about your life and yourself?

Allan

i have reached this point in time where i still drink about once or twice a week. if i go over a certain amount which does still happen, i make bad choices and i am worried about this.

:

Alice,

Years ago, I couldn't stop my substance abuse until I accepted the fact that I couldn't do like my friends and have "just a little bit" now and then. I had never been able to do this in the past, and I would never be able to do it in the future.

Once I gave up my fairy-tale hopes of doing it "once or twice a week" and stopped kidding myself, I was able to stop for good. (Knock on wood, so far anyway - you still have to do it day by day!)

This is not really a matter of will power. It's more a matter of accepting reality and surrendering to it. I will NEVER be able to do like my friends. Maybe it's not fair, but it's reality. Finally I know that.

Hang in there,

Mary

Archived