Mental Support Community

Effects of Alcohol and pot

foster

I've kind of got a long story.

Well a couple of years ago I caught my wife at the time cheating on me with a 16 year old kid. I moved out and requested seeing a marriage counselor.

Anyway what she was doing was so much out of character of her I started wondering if she had something mentally wrong with her.

I talked to a counselor and she wanted to see my ex individually and with me. Well after a couple of meeting my ex decided she didn't want to continue seeing the counselor.

After talking to the counselor she believed my ex was bipolar with schizo effect.

My ex continued the relationship with this boy. I found out the other day while talking to a friend of a friend that the two of them pretty much drink alcohol every day, and smoke pot.

I was with my ex for 7 years and she never smoked pot, and the two of us were just casual drinkers. The news of this hit me pretty hard, I've seen my ex slip from being a productive member of society to not having a job and selling all her furniture. They even lived with his parents for a while.

I was wondering what the effects of alcohol and pot would have on her? Would it make her condition even worse?

Thanks

I was wondering what

Hi foster

I too suffer from Bipolar Disorder. I am 100% certain that your wifes drinking and pot smoking has a lot to do with having Bipolar Disorder.

Bipolar, or Manic-Depressive disorder, is a mood disoreder that causes radical emotional changes and mood swings, from manic highs to depressive lows. The majority of bipolar individuals experience alternate episodes of mania and depression. The switch between highs and lows often comes without warning. For instance, a "high" mood can quickly deteriorate into a "low," which causes the sufferer exceptional stress.

Very often, bipolar disorder is not recognized as an illness. Many people suffer for years before it is properly diagnosed and treated. Bipolar disorder is a long term illness that must be carefully managed throughout a persons life.

Signs and symptoms of the depressive phase of bipolar disorder include: persistent feelings of sadness, anxiety, guilt, anger, isolation and/or hopelessness, disturbances in sleep and appetite, fatigue and loss of interest in usually enjoyed activities, problems concentrating, loneliness, self-loathing, apathy or indifference, depersonalization, loss of interest in sexual activity, shyness or social anxiety, irritability, chronic pain (with or without a known cause), lack of motivation, and morbid/suicidal ideation. In severe cases, the individual may become psychotic, a condition also known as severe bipolar depression with psychotic features

You often experience signs of overspending. Spending money that you haven't got, like spending on a visa card, credit card etc. You can do/act strange things, like doing things that would not normally interest you. You would do these things to keep a loved one happy as well as your self.

I hope this helps and good luck!

• 4 months later...
Guest ASchwartz

Hi foster and welcome to our community,

Now that your ex is you ex I was wondering why you remain so concerned about her. After all, she cheated on you and you must have felt awful about that. You did divorce her. That is why I am somewhat confused about this.:confused:

Have you moved on with your life? Are you dating? Can you tell us more about you rather than about your ex?

Allan